Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some problems with pics on holidays

Hello,
we are currently on our 3rd day of our holidays, however we need some tips as we have some problems with our k_x...

BAsically thw weather here is not that good and it is very cloudy. so if we need to take a photo of something, the colour of the clouds makes it very difficult to use the perfect settings. any tips for taking photos on such situation?

Also we are trying to use flash, but whilst on manual mode, when i use flash i cannot control well the setting, and thus i go straight to auto mode. What should i do to use flash on manual mode?

Thanks, and i hope i am a bit clear!

07-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

You're asking too many complicated questions, but first, the camera's flash is not going to help you outside anyway, unless you're doing a portrait. It's not strong enough

The best thing you can do for yourself now is make sure you have Automatic ISO selected, and shoot in P mode.
07-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
Ok thanks for the answer,
the problem is that everything is dark because of the background which is white when we use any of the auto settings and we need to use manual all the time...

This Is why any of the settings , auto ones, we use are not good.
07-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, if the background *is* a lot lighter than your subjec,t the camera is capturing that fact accurately. It's up to you to decide whether you've rather have a well-exposed subjkect or well-exposed background, but you can't have both in the same shot unless you change the lighting. So it's not clear what you are asking. I usually expose to only "slightly" blow out the background, which will still result in an underexposed subject and I then brighten the subject in post processing (the "fill light" tool in many programs can often do a good job of this).

07-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fekish Quote
Ok thanks for the answer,
the problem is that everything is dark because of the background which is white when we use any of the auto settings and we need to use manual all the time...

This Is why any of the settings , auto ones, we use are not good.
When the sky is white you will have to add some +EV compensation. P mode works somewhat like Auto but you can still change many settings.
07-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Ok thanks for the help again.

We manage to get good photos as I use manual mode. However when I need to give the camera to some friends to take us photo, then I need to select something else than manual mode for them...

Thanks for the tips again!