Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Do I get a K-x or do I wait?

Hi, I'm completely new to DSLR's but after a lot of research (and lurking on these forums) I've decided that Pentax is the way to go for entry level DSLRs... I've been very interested in a K-x, it looks like a great camera for beginners. But the lack of AF points in the viewfinder concerns me a bit. From reviews I've read it bothers a lot of people. I'm not sure it would bother me too much as I've never used a DSLR before anyway.

Also, I keep hearing that Pentax may be releasing new camera's in the upcoming months, so far I've heard of improvements being made to the current K-x, a K-5 (?), then a K-7 "super" model, now I'm not interested in the K-7 or whatever model comes out above the K-7 as I'm only a beginner and those camera's would probably confuse me quite a bit. So I want to stick with the entry level models for now.

So to get to my point, should I wait and see what Pentax has in store for the upcoming months or do I just get a K-x now?

I really just want a better camera to get some nice shots of my pets which includes, among others, a hyper active German Shepherd Puppy, and my horse and since they tend to move extremely fast, would the current K-x be able to get some nice shots of them running around and whatnot?
lol no matter what it's probably going to be a night and day difference from my point and shoot to a K-x.

Sorry for being such a newbie but I figured it's better to ask before I make a decision.
Thanks in advance!

07-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New cameras are *always* on the horizon - it's just a matter of when. No matter what camera you buy or how long you wait, it's going to be obsolete soon enough. Not really that worth waiting. Besides, it's usually a few months from announcement to availability. Could be more wait than you think.

As for AF points, if you've never used them before, there's no reason to think you'd miss them. Their absence only bothers the relatively small percetnage of people who are already accustomed to using them and can't bring themselves to changing.

Shooting fast moving animal is, however, tough for any camera. I wouldn't pin too many hopes on that.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-13-2010 at 03:08 PM.
07-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The AF points in the VF are not a huge deal - you can select where you would like to focus using the rear LCD (or set to auto select of course), and you do still get focus confirmation via a small green light in the viewfinder.

If you are looking at entry level, it will be awhile before the next release. Pentax is typically on about an 18 month lifecycle - new cameras are announced perhaps 2-4 months prior to release - this means the discussion circling the forums is for a K7 replacement at the moment. The K-x has sold very well and is about 8 months old, it could be almost a year before we see a replacement, and even then it could likely only be a refresh (as many speculate the next camera will be a K7 refresh, which is also pretty typical for pentax).

Bottom line go for it, price has been steady for quite some time so no reason to expect an impending drop with the K-x, or a new replacement at the entry level of Pentax' lineup in the near future. That, and the K-x has a ton of great features, and great image quality at the price-point.
07-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast replies!

Yeaaaa shooting fast moving animals is tough, but I'm up for learning how. Or at least attempting it.

That's the problem with technology there's always something better promised on the horizon. xD
So now I'm thinking I should go for it. Which is what I wanted to do, maybe I was just looking for a reason to wait...
The only question is now... black K-x or white K-x?

07-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Whether you purchase a k-x now or wait for the k-x's successor depends entirely on how many photos you are willing to not take if you wait.
07-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Confuzzled Quote
The only question is now... black K-x or white K-x?
White IMO.
07-14-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Or if you wait until they announce whatever they announce you can get either the Kx or even the K7 for dirt cheap, as prices will drop dramatically after a new camera is announced
07-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yesss that's very true also, I don't know my feelings on waiting versus buying the camera change day to day. lmfao

ahh decisions, decisions...

07-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Or if you wait until they announce whatever they announce you can get either the Kx or even the K7 for dirt cheap, as prices will drop dramatically after a new camera is announced
True to a point. Pentax's sales history seems to follow a bottoming of 'new store stock' model prices about a year after release. Once the new model is announced that means production is already done for the current model it is replacing (or is stopping shortly). As retail supplies diminish (i.e. no new stock replenishment) the pricing will go up from that bottom. You will definitely get a better deal on used equipment after this point in time (and possibly a run of refurbs - such as the k20d's best buy had late last year at $499), but once supply is cut off prices of the K-7 will likely stay the same if not rise somewhat.

The K-x has been strong at around $500 for a good 6 months, so I don't see its' price going anywhere for the time being (and like I said before, the next new model is going to be a k-7 replacement/refresh, K-x won't see a refresh until sometime next year based on typical release schedules).
07-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

You talked about taking pictures of horses and kids, was it? Anyway, I find that what helps with my K20, (and its not supposed to have as good a AF as the Kx) is to use a smaller aperture like F4 or smaller that makes the AF less critical. In the past, cameras would run out of ISO and be forced to use F2.8 which requires a very precise focus. I shoot a lot of live play action, and i use higher ISO which allows faster shutters and smaller apertures. My acceptance rate has gone up dramatically. Noise is there at 3200 and 4000 iso is out there on the old cameras, which i remove with the new software.

With the Kx, one has a stop or 2 better ISO performance which should help your success rate compared to some of these older camera models, like mine :-) Just don't be shy about using ISO. IMO
07-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm impatient when it comes to tech goodies. I'd buy now.
07-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ohh I'm very impatient too, I suppose I was looking for reasons to wait, such as a new camera being released before I jumped into the world of DSLR's. I really didn't want to wait. I'm loving a lot about the K-x from what I've been reading, and I'm sure the camera will be everything I'll need to take some great pictures. And if the K-x replacement or refresh isn't out for another year or so I might as well get it now.

So I was thinking about buying it maybe within the next week or so, we're going on vacation in a few weeks and I would love to have a super awesome camera with me instead of my point & shoot.

@ philbaum thanks for the advice, I'll definitely have to remember that. Thank you!
07-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose I'm not helping you look for reasons to wait - if I were going on vacation in a few weeks, I'd order the camera today so I could get familiar with it enough to take better-than-P&S pics while on vacation
07-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I suppose I'm not helping you look for reasons to wait - if I were going on vacation in a few weeks, I'd order the camera today so I could get familiar with it enough to take better-than-P&S pics while on vacation
That's exactly why I want to get it sooner rather than later.
07-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
True to a point. Pentax's sales history seems to follow a bottoming of 'new store stock' model prices about a year after release. Once the new model is announced that means production is already done for the current model it is replacing (or is stopping shortly). As retail supplies diminish (i.e. no new stock replenishment) the pricing will go up from that bottom. You will definitely get a better deal on used equipment after this point in time (and possibly a run of refurbs - such as the k20d's best buy had late last year at $499), but once supply is cut off prices of the K-7 will likely stay the same if not rise somewhat.

The K-x has been strong at around $500 for a good 6 months, so I don't see its' price going anywhere for the time being (and like I said before, the next new model is going to be a k-7 replacement/refresh, K-x won't see a refresh until sometime next year based on typical release schedules).
Never thought about it that way but agreed. I think there will be a sharp price drop initially but it will then deifnitely bottom out. So you will have a relatively small window to purchase a "new" old camera.