Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Any caution on using a old manual lenses on DSLR???

Hi,

I recently bought a couple of manual lenses on ebay. I got them and now I am a bit scared to mount them on to my new k-x. The reason is, the rear part of the lens looks a bit untidy, to say frankly, it looks ugly.

Now I am concerned if any dust from this lens will cling on to the sensor. Do you have any suggestions on using them??

gut1kor

07-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nothing too much to be worried about. Just get a Rocket Blower and turn on the the Dust Removal startup action in tool menu 4.

Also remember that unless the lens has an A setting on the aperture ring you have to set Using Aperture Ring to 2 in custom menu 4.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html

I get dust on the sensor when using my kit lens.
07-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing to watch out for when using old lenses is the Ricoh pin issue.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/101664-removin...ernatives.html
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What exactly did you buy?

07-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gut1kor Quote
Hi,

I recently bought a couple of manual lenses on ebay. I got them and now I am a bit scared to mount them on to my new k-x. The reason is, the rear part of the lens looks a bit untidy, to say frankly, it looks ugly.

Now I am concerned if any dust from this lens will cling on to the sensor. Do you have any suggestions on using them??

gut1kor
I think that after buying them and they are dirty, it is almost always SOP to clean them.
Remember, the seller is letting go of it that is why he doesn't need to clean it anymore unless he want to sell it for more.
Since it is your equipment now, you have to take care of it.
07-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the answers.
Now I can clean them before mounting them on to my k-x.

FYI, I bought Pentax 50mm f1.7, 135mm f3.5 and FA 28-80mm lenses from ebay.
07-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

50 1.7

You are gonna love that 50 1.7

07-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
You are gonna love that 50 1.7
I did play with this lens a bit. I like the sharpness and manual focus and aperture rings. I had some problem with the settings that the photos I took in shade came in a bluish color. Under sunlight the pictures are perfect. I doubt it may be due to Cloud WB setting!!???

As I just got the camera, I am using the kit lens more.
07-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hi, Thanks for the link. I followed the procedure and am able to shoot with the manual lenses.
07-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Shade *is* blue - it's lit by the sky. Sometimes the camera AWB system will happen to remove much of that bluish cast, other times it won't - it's really just a guess, because AWB doesn't *know* the color of the light. If you explicitly set the WB appropriately (may require manual WB), then you should be able to get completwly neutral color. Assuming that's your goal - me, I like my pictures to actually reflect the reality of the light color at least somewhat.