Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Looking for newer camera

As said I'm looking for something a lil more new, but at a not so new price

Backstory:

I've always loved photography, I've been using my grandpa's old Minolta Maxxum 7000, with the minolta af zoom 70-210mm lens (1:4 (32)) macro lens and the 50mm (1:1.7) lens. And a Nikon Coolpix s630 for my point and shoot.

I've gotten a pretty good understanding form those cameras, and can honestly say I hate AF (with a passion, even in my point and shoot). Recently I came across quiet a bit of gear that someone no longer wanted taking up space... this gear includes

Pentax ME Super
UV Filters & Tons of polarizers, from pentax, vivitar, with most by hoya
Vivitar MC 75-205MM 2x matched multiplier (makes noises when physically moved or flipped, is it supposed to?)
Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter 1.5x-22
vivitar 28mm 1:2.8 wide angle lens
pentax-a 1:2 50mm lens
a lens that says sears multicoated 1:2.8 f=135mm
vivitar 75-205mm 1:3.8 (series 1, version 1)
and vivitar 400mm 1:5.6
tripod made my Slik
and a shoulder rest/camera holder gun looking thing, I'm assuming to take steady shots (hence the shoulder rest)

Now, unfortunatly I got all this, and took about 3 pictures and the ME Super let go... Then, not long after my Maxxum let go as well. I bought another Maxxum for like $15 on ebay, works great and all, now I'm looking to replace the ME Super. The question is should I replace it with another ME Super, or with a used DSLR?

I'm not familiar with the quality of the DSLRs, as I have never used one before, the pentax, what little I got to use it, developed really nice pictures... But as I've always been told, it's all in the lenses. At any rate any suggestions on decent used bodies would be great (never used teleconverters/multipliers before, so any comments will be welcome).

PS: Getting the old ones repaired is NOT an option... They want $120 just to look at it, and that's a 100 mile drive on top of that

07-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you enjoy using Film then go ahead and replace the ME Super. There is a guy here however that may be able to repair yours for less, by the name of Eric (someone will sound off and point you to him). If you're willing to invest a few hundred $$ however, I would suggest a K10d. You can probably grab one for $300 or less here on the marketplace. For a digital, it's a hell of a starter camera in the used range. Others will suggest the Kx, which by all accounts is also a nice camera. Be aware however, that the digital path is a slippery one. Once you start, you won't be able to go back very easily.

Re your lenses. Most should work fine with the Pentax DSLR with the possible exception of the Sears 135. Some of them were made for Ricoh cameras and even though they worked on Film cameras, will not mount up (without modification) to the Pentax DSLR.

Either way, good luck (if you want a nice ME Super, Contact me via PM).

PS.. Make sure the batteries in the camera you have are working. If the batteries are dead, so is the meter and the camera may not function properly without it.

07-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If you enjoy using Film then go ahead and replace the ME Super. There is a guy here however that may be able to repair yours for less, by the name of Eric (someone will sound off and point you to him). If you're willing to invest a few hundred $$ however, I would suggest a K10d. You can probably grab one for $300 or less here on the marketplace. For a digital, it's a hell of a starter camera in the used range. Others will suggest the Kx, which by all accounts is also a nice camera. Be aware however, that the digital path is a slippery one. Once you start, you won't be able to go back very easily.

Re your lenses. Most should work fine with the Pentax DSLR with the possible exception of the Sears 135. Some of them were made for Ricoh cameras and even though they worked on Film cameras, will not mount up (without modification) to the Pentax DSLR.

Either way, good luck (if you want a nice ME Super, Contact me via PM).

PS.. Make sure the batteries in the camera you have are working. If the batteries are dead, so is the meter and the camera may not function properly without it.

As recommended, Eric does a fine job. He fixed up my ME Super for about $65 I believe.

Home

You seem to have acquired some fine MF lenses though. The Vivitar series 1 in particular is supposed to be quite good. Realize that if you go to digital, you won't have the ME's super sexy viewfinder.
07-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You have a good set of lenses there, especially the A50/2 and the classic Vivitar zoom. All those (and probably the Sears) will work fine on any modern Pentax dSLR. As for buying a used body: I've bought and used old film cams, but not used digicams. Were I looking for one, I'd probably want it factory-refurbished, or at least serviced and guaranteed by a dealer such as KEH. Or I'd consider buying from the marketplace here, from a well-regarded Pentaxian. I'd want to be as sure as possible that my multi-hundred $$$ purchase wouldn't die prematurely, and me with no recourse. That's just my paranoia kicking in, eh?