Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nemopaice Quote
OK, I found someone willing to let me barrow their Pentax *ist DS for tonight. How would this compare to the k-7?
The istDS is old.

It still makes nice images, but it is a very different camera to a K7. If you want to have a camera with similar output as the K7, you'ld look for a K20, as they have the same sensor and have pretty much comparable image parameters.

Ben

07-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DS, while a fine camera for it's day (back when 6MP ruled!), would be huge step backward in every way but one: TTL flash support, which newer cameras lack in favor of the proprietary systems most camera use these days. Aside from that though - lower resolution, much slower operation, no SR, no weather sealing, tiny LCD, fewer direct controls on camera, etc.
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The DS, while a fine camera for it's day (back when 6MP ruled!), would be huge step backward in every way but one: TTL flash support, which newer cameras lack in favor of the proprietary systems most camera use these days. Aside from that though - lower resolution, much slower operation, no SR, no weather sealing, tiny LCD, fewer direct controls on camera, etc.
That;s good to know. The DS I borrowed does take a decent picture, (after you increase the exposure and correct the WB and contrast. and in most cases the saturation too) But the images come out fairly sharp and the DOF is decent.

After the store finally got the K-7 in stock today, I played with the K-7 and the Nikon D300s. I definitely like the menu setup on the Nikon better. I still like Nikons image, but I have to say, I really do think the K-7 has it's strong points over this Nikon, but I have to reserve my comments about that until I can use them outside of the store.

The MP count to me is almost a joke. few to no one will need more than 6 MP. There are a couple old adages that stick true in my head. while more mega pixels can print a larger resolution image, who is going to really notice. On a 4x6 print you're up close, on a 16x20 you're further back to take in all in, and on a billboard, you're 100+ feet away. 6mp is more than enough for a billboard. And if anyone wants to really be a pixel counter then stick with film. a 35MP camera can't touch film resolution.

Anyways, I took this of my wife's new kitten last night, using the *ist DS with a 18-55mm DA lens, at 55mm, iso 200, f/5.6

It came out ok, but I had to up the exposure by 1.5 stops even though the camera said it was ok, and reduce the contrast. But over all not bad....
Attached Images

07-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I am going to agree with everyone who says that one of the best reasons to go for Pentax is the ergonomics. Frankly I could never get used to any of the other brands. Canon is just wrong and Nikon has that stupid "hold down a button" method of changing modes... not even a real dial. But you are not going to get a feel for the K-7 by trying a much older body. Even the K20D (which you should also try) is distinctly different.

All else is much equal in IQ land, except that Pentax gets you top-notch glass cheaper.

If you prefer primes, Pentax has a lock with in-body stabilisation. No other make even has a stabilised prime under 100mm (last I looked).

If you want ultimate detail and high ISO you will need full-frame and something like the Nikon D700. But few enough would even be able to tell the difference.

Sounds like you have all you need, but if you fancy a change just buy the K-7 and the FA77 and then wonder if you need anything else in your life.

07-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nemopaice Quote
The MP count to me is almost a joke. few to no one will need more than 6 MP. There are a couple old adages that stick true in my head. while more mega pixels can print a larger resolution image, who is going to really notice.
I do agree the emphasis on pixel count gets way out of hand, for exactly the reasons you state. But FWIW, I really do notice a pretty significant difference between 6MP and 10MP in a lot of situations, especially with regard to cropping ability.

QuoteQuote:
Anyways, I took this of my wife's new kitten last night, using the *ist DS with a 18-55mm DA lens, at 55mm, iso 200, f/5.6

It came out ok, but I had to up the exposure by 1.5 stops even though the camera said it was ok
Not surprising, given the background is so bright. That's pretty much a classic textbook example of the sort of case where compensation is required.

You will find overall, though, that most Pentax cameras do tend to be somewhat more conservative than others - they really refuse to blow up even the slightest highlight if they can help it.

QuoteQuote:
and reduce the contrast.
BTW, be sure to use Natural instead of Bright mode (I forget where this is set - either the main record menu or the Fn menu) if you like that softer look in terms of contrast (I do, too).