Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #1

Kx AF Points

I'm thinking of buying a Kx as my first DSLR, and from the reviews it seems great. I'm just a bit concerned that everything i've read about it criticizes it for its lack of AF points.

I sort of know what these are, but i'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what this means in practical terms - does it prevent me from taking some shots? Is it really that much of a drawback for an amateur?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

thanks

07-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, this isn't really a drawback for most people. AF points are simply points on the frame where the camera can measure the focus. In 'green' AF mode, the camera automatically picks which of these 11 points to focus at. However, many people, including myself, simply set AF to center-only. That way, what you point at is what the camera focuses on. While holding down the shutter button halfway, you can then adjust your composition.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lack of AF points will definitely not prevent you from taking any types of pics. As Adam said, all it does is let the photographer know which point the camera is choosing to focus on.

The problem with autofocus is that sometimes you and the AF do not agree. The AF will try to anticipate what you want to focus on but it will not always be what you intended to be the focus point. So I highly recommend using the Center Point Focus (mine has never left that setting), put your focal point right in the center of the viewfinder and readjust to capture your image.
07-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

If you're still confused, it means you don't SEE the actual visible indicators in the viewfinder. You can still set the point(s) to wherever via the LCD.

As said above, the majority of people use the center point anyway most of the time.

Last edited by Ira; 07-15-2010 at 04:17 AM.
07-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

On a K200D (the one I have), once the camera focuses, there will be a beep-beep sound and a red dot will flash where the camera is focusing. If I am not mistaken (I have never handled a K-x), on the K-x, there will be no red dot.
07-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
On a K200D (the one I have), once the camera focuses, there will be a beep-beep sound and a red dot will flash where the camera is focusing. If I am not mistaken (I have never handled a K-x), on the K-x, there will be no red dot.
No dot indicating where it's focusing--correct.
07-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If you don't know what they are, you don't need them. Their absence is only an issue for the small percetnage of people who have come to rely on them in other cameras, and just cannot imagine using a camera without them.
07-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It makes sense to have them, though. I often don't know what my camera is focusing on and it would be nice for it to let me know.

07-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
It makes sense to have them, though. I often don't know what my camera is focusing on and it would be nice for it to let me know.
If you're paying attention to what you see in the viewfinder, it's pretty clear to see what your camera is focusing on...more or LESS.

You should not depend solely on a beep, viewfinder focus point or lighted hexagon confimation to confirm focus.

That's what your eyes are for.
07-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Aside from the fact that you can see in the viewfinder what's in focus, even if a dot lit up to tell you, its not like there is anything you can do about it should it light up somewhere other than you want. Well, you can, but not in the mode where the camera chooses the focus point. If you let the camera chosoe, there's no real added value in having it tell you what it did, since you can't do anything about it. It's really only when *you* choose the focus point that the indicators are particularly useful. You can d it using the LCD, but the viewfinder indicators make it easier. Still, if you're not already among the minority who like to select focus points themselves, then you'll never miss this.
07-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Buy the k-x, it's worth it, the loss AF dots is bearable, and you will learn to rely in your eyes too, not just depend on the camera.

The Indian (wielder) is always better than his bow and arrows.

Peace.
07-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone! It seems like it's really not that much of an issue unless you're used to having it.