Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
I see that the package with the KX and the 55-300 is available again. Is that the same lens most are referring to in this thread?
The DA L 55-300 is optically identical to the DA 55-300 discussed in this thread. However, the L has a plastic mount, does not have quick shift, nor does it have distance markers. Further, the L doesn't come with a hood or the soft lens case. Once you factor in these differences, the price difference between the DA and the DA L lens is negligible.

That said, if funds are tight, go for the L that comes with the Kx kit.

08-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
The DA L 55-300 is optically identical to the DA 55-300 discussed in this thread. However, the L has a plastic mount, does not have quick shift, nor does it have distance markers. Further, the L doesn't come with a hood or the soft lens case. Once you factor in these differences, the price difference between the DA and the DA L lens is negligible.

That said, if funds are tight, go for the L that comes with the Kx kit.
Thanks for the info. I just need to decide on the 50-200 versus the 55-300. I was a little concerned about size and weight for the larger as most of shooting is hand held.

Just for fun, I compared the Nikon 70-300 I was considering, and it is about 1.5 inches longer, and weighs 11 ounces more. I am guessing this is because the shake reduction is built in the lens.

Maybe the Pentax 55-300 would not be too cumbersome after all.
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
Thanks for the info. I just need to decide on the 50-200 versus the 55-300. I was a little concerned about size and weight for the larger as most of shooting is hand held.

Just for fun, I compared the Nikon 70-300 I was considering, and it is about 1.5 inches longer, and weighs 11 ounces more. I am guessing this is because the shake reduction is built in the lens.

Maybe the Pentax 55-300 would not be too cumbersome after all.
I recently got a DA55-300, upgraded from the DAL50-200. I too was concerned about the size and weight of the DA55-300, but it seemed really small and light when I took it out of the box. I guess all the talk about it being twice the weight of the DA50-200 made me think it would be huge. Personally I like having that extra 100mm, and the lens isn't that big or heavy. Good luck with your decision.