Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Samyang fisheye's, sold under several different names, has had some decent reviews. Note that they are manual focus. I bought a DA 10-17 used a year and a half ago and use it far more than I ever thought I would. It comes along everywhere. The recommendation of renting one might be a good idea as some people don't like the distortion. The guy I bought mine from was hoping for a little less expensive ultra wide and assumed he could "de-fish" with software. He wasn't happy. Perhaps because I'm a little warped myself, I love the effect.

Selfemployed - nice fun shot. If all someone wanted was some fun photos for the family album then maybe your attachment is all thats needed. The value of anything really depends on what you use it for and whether or not you're happy with the result.

07-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #32

Original Poster
reeftool:
Actually, the picture I took was with the stock automatic 18-55 lens. I just went into the camera filters and applied the fisheye internal filter. The same way you can edit out colors. Its just a stock lens. No attachment. But while we're on the subject, exactly how does the camera do that?

I know I'm a newbie here, but I fully plan to start a thread here soon showing all the different filter effects and some of the "more for fun; not profit" effects you can do with just automatic settings applying the internal filters on the K-x. I have had my K-x for almost 6 months, and I just learned that I could do that.I'm betting there are newbs here like myself who don't know their camera can actually do that. I think it could be of real advantage to someone who just bought one. I planned to use the same picture for all the settings so you would have a reference point to go back to. I just gotta get time to do it. I also need to read up on exif so I'll know what it is and how to record it.
Oh, and by the way, if someone else here has a K-x and they want to do the same thing, whether they are a beginner or a pro, I have no problems with it.
07-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have the Kx so I can't say much on the use of the built in filter effects. They are part of the built in software of the camera and do a similar job as the filters available in most photo editing programs. They do have their uses and I have used them in PP on occasion. These effects are very popular with the younger crowd. My youngest daughter and also my grand daugher enjoy using the special effects filters available in PP.

The biggest difference between and add on filter or a software effect to alter the image is image quality. This photo was taken during the 09 ECAC Rowing championships of the rowers competing on machines for fun (but also serious) from about 2-3 feet away among a crowd with the DA 10-17. I cropped the photo a little. The people still look like people, not a fun house mirror effect. What's acceptable depends on what you want from your shot.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.