Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Quantaray QTB-9500A to K20D

Will a Quantaray QTB-9500A with module PX AF work?

07-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

The search function is your friend.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/33053-pro...sh-module.html
07-16-2010, 03:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The Quantaray QDA-P module actually works very well with all the Pentax DSLR bodies. The way to use the module and flash is to use Tv mode on the camera, and on the dual e-dial cameras, set the custom settings so that setting ISO is on one of the e-dials for Tv mode. The module, when set to Auto, communicates with the camera and can read the ISO setting from the camera. It then has the ability to set the aperture of the lens accordingly on the camera. The sensor on the flash does the rest.

The work flow is; set the shutter speed to whatever value you want, fast if you want the flash to provide the light, slow if you want to balance ambient with the flash, then determine where you want ISO 100 to start, at f2.8, f4, or f5.6, for your lens. This corresponds to the blue, yellow, and green dots on the QDA-P module. With that, you can now ignore the flash settings from then on and simply use the e-dial on the camera to determine the aperture you want to shoot at, opening the aperture means lowering the ISO and closing the aperture means an increase in ISO. I simply forget that I am adjusting ISO and just watch the aperture in the viewfinder.

If you do want to try P-TTL with the flash, you can buy the $50 Promaster 5050DXR module for Pentax on ebay. The module is keyed so that it won't fix into the older flashes. Simply removing the plastic key is all that is required. You can simply swap the base plate of the QDA-P module with the base plate of the 505DXR module if you don't want to cut the plastic. Had I known the QDA-P module worked so well with the Pentax cameras, I don't think I would have bought the 5050DXR module however.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-16-2010 at 12:01 PM.
07-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
The Quantaray QDA-P module actually works very well with all the Pentax DSLR bodies. The way to use the module and flash is to use Tv mode on the camera, and on the dual e-dial cameras, set the custom settings so that setting ISO is on one of the e-dials for Tv mode. The module, when set to Auto, communicates with the camera and can read the ISO setting from the camera. It then has the ability to set the aperture of the lens accordingly on the camera. The sensor on the flash does the rest.

The work flow is; set the shutter speed to whatever value you want, fast if you want the flash to provide the light, slow if you want to balance ambient with the flash, then determine where you want ISO 100 to start, at f2.8, f4, or f5.6, for your lens. This corresponds to the blue, yellow, and green dots on the QDA-P module. With that, you can now ignore the flash settings from then on and simply use the e-dial on the camera to determine the aperture you want to shoot at, opening the aperture means lowering the ISO and closing the aperture means an increase in ISO. I simply forget that I am adjusting ISO and just watch the aperture in the viewfinder.

If you do want to try P-TTL with the flash, you can buy the $50 Promaster 5050DXR module for Pentax on ebay. The module is keyed so that it won't fix into the older flashes. Simply removing the plastic key is all that is required. You can simply swap the base plate of the QDA-P module with the base plate of the 505DXR module if you don't want to cut the plastic. Had I known the QDA-P module worked so well with the Pentax cameras, I don't think I would have bought the 5050DXR module however.

Thank you
Russell
Same here..the 5050DXR is actually worthless if not mated with a digital Quantaray or Promaster flash head unit.

07-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Same here..the 5050DXR is actually worthless if not mated with a digital Quantaray or Promaster flash head unit.
I'm using the 505DXR module with the 9500 and an old Macrolume. It works pretty well with the old flashes. With the Macrolume it can't get the power low enough for use under 15 inches or so. That's really the only issue with it. I'm wouldn't say it is useless.

Thank you
Russell
07-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm using the 505DXR module with the 9500 and an old Macrolume. It works pretty well with the old flashes. With the Macrolume it can't get the power low enough for use under 15 inches or so. That's really the only issue with it. I'm wouldn't say it is useless.

Thank you
Russell
I also used it (5050DXR) on the macrolume with the same results but QDA-P works better on the macrolume (TTL-version).
01-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #7

Thank you
Russell

Russell I like the features that you mention with the Quantaray QDA-P module being able to communicate with the camera and change aperture settings.

Is this feature available with all Quantaray flashes containing the QDA-P module?

I'm more so asking for use with a 6500a because in another thread I read you where using a 9500a?