Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Magic Lantern Guides?

I have a Kx and a K7 and I really think it's time to discover more of the cameras capabilities, especially the K7. I haven't read the manuals yet; maybe it would help if they had a nice shiny color cover. Kidding aside, do the Magic Lantern Guides offer anything more than the factory manuals, or should I just knuckle down and RTFMs?

07-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Magic Lantern guide I have (K100D) seems to be written by someone whose native language is English, so some spots made more sense than the translated version.

There is also more reference material about lenses and other bits.

They also admit when they don't know what the manual is talking about.

The funny part is the white balance examples - in black and white images.

I'd say it's worth it.
07-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, I find them helpful--in tandem with the official user's manual.
07-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #4

Good Plain Language Manuals for Pentax DSLR's

I would suggest you check out this blog site PENTAX DSLRs: PART-1. Autofocus Adjustment for the Pentax K20D, Custom Setting No 35 . I know the link refers to the K20D, but if you have a look on the right side of the screen you will see the manuals that are available. There is one for the K-7 also. I have a K10D and the manufacturer's manual is no where as good as the one that I got from this guy. You can download your own e-manual and then print it out. I found his explanations right to the point.

07-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

I like them, as I found them not to give a great lot of more detail, but explain some points and their relationship to the way other settings in the camera affect it's operation.
Whereas the camera manual sometimes leaves you scratching your head as to what it is really talking about
07-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the guide for the K10D and found it to be very good. It connects the camera's functions and practical photography theory. If you are a new shooter, not just with the camera it covers, then I recommend it even more.
07-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The Majic Lantern Guides are a great help in conjunction with the operating manual. The Guide gives good explanations of the different settings of the camera, what they do and why. Which the manual does not always do. Then you will better understand what an item does and if you want to change an item.

07-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Forum Member

I bought my first dslr - K7 - in December and within a week bought the Magic Lantern guide. I think I refer more to the guide than the manual - (I carry both in my camera bag - for reference and some light reading when bored
07-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I purchased the Magic Lantern guide for my K7. It was ok, it helped me get a quick start on some of the layout and where to find certain features. But I didn't find anything there that I could not have found myself by playing with the camera and doing some online research here or other camera sites. I guess I would put it in the same league as the "Missing Manual" stuff you can buy for Photoshop Elements.

I got a great deal for my copy on Amazon so it was worth having.
07-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
Banned

I say why spend money needlessly? RTFM, if that doesn't make any sense to you, THEN go for the ML guidebook.
07-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

good read

I got mine off e.bay for 5 bucks free shipping k100d shooter. I think it makes it a little better to understand.but that could be me
07-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Forum Member

Is there a Magic Lantern available for the Kx? I have been searching online and can't seem to find one - Peter Burian seems to have authored some of the other Pentax guides but nothing so far for the Kx.

Cheers and thanks Kelly
07-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Forum Member

I checked with the publisher a couple of months ago and they indicated that they were not going to do a guide for the K-x.
07-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
Forum Member

Thankyou thrillerb for your response. Might just have to go and re-read the manual (again).

Cheers Kelly
07-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #15

I will agree with thriller. I also made more than my share of calls and everyone I spoke to at Magic Lantern said they have no plans of making a guide for the K-x. Which in my opinion SUCKS!!! If I ever do graduate to a better camera I won't buy the guides from them just because of that.
I have searched high and low and there is nothing out there for the K-x. Its the most popular camera on the beginner forum, it makes no sense NOT to make it. Its an entry level camera, and those are the ones who need the manuals most.