Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does my kit lens have Quick-Shift?

So, I checked a bunch of online sources and it says that the kit lens that came with my K-x (the 18-55) has quick-shift. However, in the manual that came in the box with my lens/camera, it says that the DA L 18-55mm etcetc (my lens) does not have quick-shift). Can anyone help clear up if it does or not? Nowhere do I see that it's the II version, if that makes a difference. And if I let it autofocus and lock onto something then adjust it manually, it does work, but there's definitely some resistance/feeling of gears moving inside; is this bad/detrimental to the lens? Thanks.

07-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No, the kit lens doesn't have quick shift and trying to move the focus ring while in AF is bad for the mechanism.
07-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

don't know about the DA L version, but I think the DA version (first generation) does.
07-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
don't know about the DA L version, but I think the DA version (first generation) does.
I just picked up my K100 which has the first generation of the kit lens mounted, and yes it does have the quick shift clutch. Still works great! And, by the way, the kit lens mounted on my K20, takes great images too.

07-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DAL has no QS, but it's not all bad because the QS mechanism jams sometimes.
07-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which online source says the K-x kit lens (DA L 18-55) has QS? Sounds like a site to avoid - it's definitely not true, and I'd think any legit source would know that. The lack of quick shift is one of the things that differentiates the "L" versions of the 18-55 and other lenses from the regular versions.
07-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DAL definitely does not have quick shift. The kit lenses that came/come on a K7, K20, and the K200 also I believe have quick shift. You probably were reading about the DA kit lens and not the DAL kit lens.

**Just to say it again, make sure you do not try to turn the focus ring while in AF mode, you can ruin the AF system.
09-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #8

@jaieger

I just bought the K-X with the DAL lens and when I first put it on I tried to move the focus ring and I was met with resistance as well but tried anyways. That was the LAST time that I did that. I have read in multiple places (including above) that this is bad for the mechanism.

My question to the forum as a whole is:

Did I do any serious damage to my camera by focusing in AF mode? If so, was it to my lens or camera body?

PS. The AF is pretty noisy, almost as loud as taking a picture. Is this normal?

09-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax non-SDM AF is noisy, always been that way.
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Kx's kit lens does not have quick shift, the Kx body however is capable of using quick shift lenses

I'm not sure if older bodies cannot use quick shift lenses but perhaps that's what the online retailer meant
09-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It *should* be alright if you only did it once. I've done it several times on k100d by accident (engaged AF while holding focus ring instead of zoom ring) and it's still working fine. I dont know which one receives more 'damage' when the AF gear is moved on a lens without Quickshift, but both should still be working fine. just dont try to do it deliberately.

AF on Pentax's non-SDM is indeed pretty noisy.
09-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #12

AF on pentaxes are noisy due to the AF motor.
SDM lenses are so dman quiet
09-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
AF on pentaxes are noisy due to the AF motor.
SDM lenses are so dman quiet
First off, I am very glad that my camera is okay.

Just to make sure that I have this correct, SDM is in some lens' which makes them quiet. My camera's auto focus is what is making so much noise. My lens is making even more noise on top of that.

So in other words, sounds like I have a noisy lens with a noisy camera.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but would an SDM lens help much or is it a lost effort because my AF motor is so loud?
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
bfo

The SDM lenses are noiseless. They don't use the cameras AF motor. They've got motors in the lens.