Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

Warranty

Wondering if its worth taking additional 2 years warranty on my kx or is the 1 year standard warranty good enough?
still have 3 days to decide
My reseller told me its worth the $130

What do guys reckon?

07-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you plan to use the camera for 3 years, then I think it would be worth it, if not for more to replace the sensor should it accumulate hot pixels.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've never had to use the Pentax warranty. My K10D is almost three years old, and I've never had a bit of trouble (knock wood).

However, I've read many stories on this and other forums, that almost every time someone has had out-of-warranty work done, the bill has been around $300, sometimes more.

The way cameras are built today, they can't just open it up and replace one spring or gear. Usually, the main circuit board must be replaced as a unit, or the entire mirror box assembly must be replaced. That's the blessing/curse of modern manufacturing techniques. Without the automation and miniaturization they use, modern dslrs simply wouldn't be possible. OTOH, it makes them more difficult/expensive to repair.

So, you're gambling whether you will or will not have a major camera failure in the next three years. If you do have a failure, you'll be glad you have it. If you don't, it will be wasted money. If, say, two years from now, you have a major failure and you didn't buy the warranty, can you afford $300 for a repair, or can you afford $700 to buy a new camera?
07-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most electronics pretty much work or don't, early, so I do not do extended warranties. I appreciate longer warranty periods such as for Tamron and Sigma lenses, however.

07-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know about where you live, but in the U.S. you get the one year pentax USA warranty, plus another year from almost any credit card you use for the purchase, so two years total. So you'd be paying $130 for one more year and that's probably not worth it.

Paul
07-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

It's a scam.

Also, since when does using a credit card in the U.S. add a year to a warranty?
07-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Also, since when does using a credit card in the U.S. add a year to a warranty?
It is actually "double manufacturer's warranty, up to one additional year."

I don't remember when it started, but the first time I used it was 6 years ago. I bought a recon'ed cordless drill from the Porter-Cable service center. It came with 1 yr manufacturer's warranty. 21 months later, the trigger switch went bad. The PC service center quoted me $85 to replace the switch. I contacted MasterCard. They told me to send in the receipt and a copy of the manufacturer's warranty. I did. Then MasterCard told me that since the original price of the drill was less than $100, they'd save me the repairing trouble and refund the full purchase price.

Also, about 2 years ago when vacationing in Hawaii, my rental car was damaged in a minor accident. It was fully covered by MasterCard.

I think the extended warranty and rental insurance are offered only to gold or platinum MC/VISA, and American Express.
07-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

For many years now, most MC, Visa, Discover, and AmEx purchases have doubled the manufacturer's warranty, up to 1 additional year, automatically and at no cost. I have used the extended warranty on more than one occasion, and obtaining coverage was as simple as sending a copy of the receipt for the repair cost for the item. Repairs were 100% covered.

Paul

07-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

My God, I have to pay more attention to my purchases. I had no idea about this, but my wife did.
07-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Not only that, AmEx gives you accidental/loss/theft coverage up to $1000 within 90 days after purchase. I think Gold/Platinum VISA/MC have similar coverage.

Note that no manufacturer's warranty covers damages/losses due to accidents or theft.