Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Sources for me and kids to learn k-x

Hi all. I'm still in the process of learning how to use my new K-x. I have no previous dslr experience so it is all new to me. My two boys, 12 and 14, have shown a lot of interest in it, so last night I started teaching them the basics on how to use it.

I was thinking that as I learn, they should learn with me, and they are excited about that. I am going to order Understanding Exposure but I figure at this point it would be silly not to wait until August 10th for the new edition. Does that book have little lessons in there?

Any other input for the easiest way for us to learn? I'm looking for tutorials to walk us through using each mode, and when and how to change what settings.

I appreciate your help!

07-17-2010, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Start with P mode, but turn auto ISO off.

Now, select 200 ISO and go outside for one shot, and note the shutter speed and aperture the camera is selecting for you. Now, change to ISO 400, and notice how the doubled sensitivity affects your shutter speed and aperture, how the three elements are always related. Do this a bunch of times.

Now, switch to Av, aperture priority mode, and manually change your aperture, and notice how the shutter speed now changes with different apertures.

And do the same thing in Tv mode, manually changing the shutter speed to see how the camera now automatically changes the f stop.

I suggest manual ISO for all of this because it makes the exercise a little bit easier to understand.
07-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I have had my dslr about a year, and the more I read on exposure and such the more confused I became. I took a community class on the basics of photography and it helped immensely. It gave a good foundation to build on. We did exercises that involved white balance, aperture, shutter speed and motion.

I would choose a subject and take multiple images, for each image I would change a setting. Start with white balance and take the image changing the white balance for each image, then do the same with aperture and then shutter speed. I would then print the images, put them in a photo album, and note the exif info. It gave me a basic understanding of how each one affected the image. After that practice, practice, practice.
07-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

White balance, aka color balance, is not complicated--but it's not one of the first things to concentrate on. ISO, shutter speed and aperture "is."

Basically, the lighting you shoot under has different "temperatures," which affect if your shot is going to be fine or the colors will shift annoyingly. But your DSLR has its AWB setting, AUTOMATIC detection of the color temperature, and it does a damn good job of it.

So for now, I wouldn't sweat that at all. Just leave it on AWB.

07-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

I too am a begginer with a K-x. IRA has the right advice, but if you need something to guide you through those kind of exercises this forum(link below) has an online begginers 'course' . It's free, they offer challenges for you to do and then post your results for discussion if you want . It covers the basic stuff, aperture, shutterspeed, ISO etc and more. You need to join the forum to post but you can look through everything without joining. I think it's worth looking at, I have found it usefull.
:New To Photography - AusPhotography:: Australia's Premier Photography Forum::
07-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks!
07-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kmets Quote
Thanks!
Send Schwables!

(Spelling?)