Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-x long exposure/dark frame/low batteries

Hi,

I set my K-x up and took an 8 minute exposure, and then I think the batteries (eneloops) died at some point near the very end of the exposure or during the dark frame (the aperture was still closed down as it was for the exposure, if that helps to determine during which stage the batteries died). At first, I didn't realize it because I just assumed that it was doing its normal processing thing or whatever that usually happens after long exposures (I think I was hearing the sound of the SR). I kept the timer I had going for the exposure on the whole time, and once it started to near 16 minutes total (8-minute exposure + 8-minute dark frame), I started to get concerned that something was wrong when the camera didn't stop doing it's thing. Anyway, I was worried that taking the batteries out might damage the camera, so I searched up any threads pertaining to this. I stumbled upon a thread about the shutter operating nonstop when the battery ran low in someones K200D, I think it was, and figured that the only thing I could do was take my batteries out. So that's what I did after about 35 minutes total since I started the exposure (I know, it's a long time between realizing there was a problem and finally solving it).

Anyway, sorry for the long intro... my question is will having the camera operate like this (stuck doing the dark frame after batteries run out) damage the sensor/camera?

Also, a related question... I've tried turning off the slow shutter speed NR, but it still seems to do the dark frame thing after long exposures, though not for the same length of time as the exposure was. Is this to be expected for all long exposures (i.e. giving the camera time to process them) or can something be done in the settings so that I can take a long exposure and be able to take another one right after the first one ended without having to wait for the camera to process or do whatever it's doing?

Thank you for all your help.

09-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #2

Dear jcob,

what version is your firmware?
I recall that firmware update fix some battery problem.
Also, it might doing NR after taking the shots
since your exposure time is less than 30mins, you can turn it off and see if there is any difference?
Hope this helps!
09-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The answer to your first question is (should be) No, you will not damage the camera removing the batteries.

To your second question, if I understood it properly, you cannot turn off dark frame subtraction on the Kx (or the K7, K20d). I Think it takes affect after 30 seconds so if you want to do consecutive exposures one right after the other, you need to use shorter times. Apparently, DFS shutoff is back on the K5 and I suspect it may be so on the Kr as well. I know that doesn't help you much but it's reason for some excitement among us star trail shooters.