Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hiking with the K7

One of the reasons I chose the K 7 for my first DSLR is the tank-like body composition. So, I have been hiking through Escalante, and now Oregon, learning the Zone System and taking lots of pictures (I have grown from P-mode to M-mode!)

My question, I hope, is not too naive but...I have seen some people carrying around their DSLRs cradling the lens with one hand while it hangs from a strap around their necks. And I just have it hanging against my hip on a long non-Pentax strap. Oftentimes it is with my way cool Sigma 10-20mm lens. Sometimes the trail is steep and it bounces a bit on my hip. Should I cradle the camera too? Am I creating problems for myself in the future by allowing it to just hang by the strap, exposed to gravity and movement as I hike along? Of course I am very careful to protect te lens from being knocked or jarred in any way.

Thanks for all of your great answers. Great camera. Great forums.

07-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm very protective of my gear too. I've spent over 250 bucks on bags and carrying solutions just making sure my cameras are safe in every situation possible.

I would probably do it get a belt holster like the Adorama B-grip: BGRIP Adorama B-Grip, Easy Access Belt Mounted Holder for Cameras and Camcorders

or this ebay generic holster: O1A Hard Plastic Waist Black Camera Belt Buckle Button - eBay (item 270562314530 end time Aug-10-10 01:08:32 PDT)

and use it in tandem with your long strap, you can have it securely held down on your hip while being at the ready quick draw style, but still have the security of the strap when it's not holstered.

Another solution might be the OP/Tech Stabilizer strap: OP/TECH USA Stabilizer Strap 5301002 - B&H Photo Video

I just received that in the mail and for ultimate security and stability while still being worn on the body that has to be hands down the way to go. The only bad part is that it's not as quick to the draw as a holster. You can't easily slip the lens in and out of the hole so you just have to unlock it from your waist/stomach and shoot with the stabilizer net still on the camera and the strap hanging off the side. A little annoying but it's as secure as it gets.
07-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #3

Check out some of the threads that talk about DSLR holsters, if you are truly concerned. For example, I'm looking at the b-Grip (adorama), the spider, the cotton system, etc. I generally cradle the lens if it's bigger (my sigma 100-300) or when I'm in crowded areas (for fear of theft). Otherwise, I'm not too worried. Then again, I'm no pro. With the sigma 10-20, I wouldn't be to worried since it isn't too heavy. By the way, which 10-20 do you have and where did you pick it up. That's my next lens... I think...
07-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi there. My Sigma lens is the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Wide Angle AF Lens and i got it at 47th St photo. They had the best prices in late April 2010.