Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lenses like F 35-70mm

Hey.

I have trouble finding a similar lens to the Pentax F 35-70/3.5-4.5.
Most of all would I like to have the focal length around 35-70 with 2.8 or lower.

Does Pentax have any lenses about this focal length?
Did see that there is one, the FA 28-70mm F2.8 AL, but have not seen it for sale anymore.

Do know that Sigma has its 24-70/2,8 and Tamron has the 28-75/2,8. Okey, the tamron is better in focal length, but worried about the AF (perhaps not so fast...? ). Do not know anything about the Sigma.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanx in advance!

07-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The Tamron is an extremely popular lens, and fairly inexpensive. Even if you ever found an FA*28-70/2.8 (they are very rare), it would most likely be *much* more expensive (I'm guessing about 5-10 times more - not only is it rare, but it's a "*" lens), and I rather doubt it would focus any faster. It's also a lot bigger and heavier than the Tamron.
07-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
HeG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The Tamron is an extremely popular lens, and fairly inexpensive. Even if you ever found an FA*28-70/2.8 (they are very rare), it would most likely be *much* more expensive (I'm guessing about 5-10 times more - not only is it rare, but it's a "*" lens), and I rather doubt it would focus any faster. It's also a lot bigger and heavier than the Tamron.
I could guess me to that, that the pentax lens is rare and expensive (and heavy). Just to learn more, what does the "*" mean?

It can be that I think that the Tamron´s lenses are not so good since I´ve had quite big focusing problem with my old K20D (now changed to a K7). And the only Tamron lens I do have is Tamron 18-200/3.5-6.3. Maby I also have too much expentations on the camera ("AF´s speed) and/or the lens(es). The Tamron´s focal length is good (and the 2.8 ). I have been thinking of not having a zoom-lens but it feels better when I mostly take pictures of my dog (moving). Any suggestions?
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The "*" is roughly simialr to Canon's "L" - it means they went all-out to design the best lens they possibly could, with little concern to how much it would cost.

You can't judge a company by their worst lens. Everyone - Pentax included - makes great stuff and not-so-great stuff. Check out the lens reviews on this site or the many existing threads disucssing these lenses (well, the Tamron & Sigma anyhow - the Pentax is so fare is basically never comes up in the comparisons) if you really need more input, basically, there's a reaosn the Tamrn 28-75 is such a popular choice if you happen to like that focal length range (no wide angle would be tough for me on digital).

07-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #5
HeG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The "*" is roughly simialr to Canon's "L" - it means they went all-out to design the best lens they possibly could, with little concern to how much it would cost.

You can't judge a company by their worst lens. Everyone - Pentax included - makes great stuff and not-so-great stuff. Check out the lens reviews on this site or the many existing threads disucssing these lenses (well, the Tamron & Sigma anyhow - the Pentax is so fare is basically never comes up in the comparisons) if you really need more input, basically, there's a reaosn the Tamrn 28-75 is such a popular choice if you happen to like that focal length range (no wide angle would be tough for me on digital).
Thanx for the *-explanation.

Hmm.. I´ve understand that this is the case about the 18-200. It can also be that I heard about the tamron lens (28-70/2.8 for canon had AF quite slow). But don´t know what the person compared with so...
As you said, it has to be something about the lens since so many have it.
Can you tell me anything about the difference between the Sigma and Tamron versions, beside the price factor?