Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

Underexposed photos from my K-x

Hi all,

Your opinions on this album, please. I have quite a few outdoor shots which seem to be underexposed. In some cases (picture 9), it's clear that the camera is trying to pull the sky down to 18% and the guy behind the camera should be compensating. In many other cases, I'm not quite sure what's happening.

Pics 10-13 are good examples of shots that I feel are underexposed. Any thoughts?

(Ignore Pic 4 - it was edited. Also ignore the night shots - those were experimental)

Last edited by richardm; 07-19-2010 at 02:00 PM.
07-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What mode are you shooting in?
07-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
Aperture Priority and "Bright". The auto white-balance is doing a poor job but that's for a different post.
07-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I looked at image #10. ISO 200, Aperture priority, f4, 1/400 around 8:40 pm. I don't know what your latitude is, but I'd say it was near sunset. Call it an EV of 9 or 10. At that ev, shooting at f4 with an iso of 200, your shutter speed should be 1/60 (ev 9) or 1/125 (ev 10), so yes, the shot is underexposed.

The thing you have to understand about a camera's lightmeter is that it performs best when the scene it sees averages out to 18% grey. Scenes around sunset are not likely to average out to 18% grey, so you have to know when and how to override your camera's meter.

07-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richardm Quote
Aperture Priority and "Bright". The auto white-balance is doing a poor job but that's for a different post.
awb has a range of 4000-8000K. When shooting scenes where the color temperature is within that range, awb usually (but not always) will perform well. When shooting scenes that are outside the range of awb it is unrealistic to expect it to perform well. The color temperature at sunrise/sunset is around 3200K, which is outside awb range.
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Excellent. Thanks for your advice. I just reviewed some 50 shots taken mid-day and they seem to be nicely exposed. I also did a massive AF correction of -120um before leaving; things are looking much sharper now.
07-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Must say I had the same problem with underexposure (with K-x) when using centre-weighted mode (CW) . If I use multisegment (MS) most exposures were ok. On the other hand MS mode would over-expose in other situations.

But....

I did notice there is a difference in exposure in CW mode when shooting through the lens versus live mode. Live mode was about +1 EV higher. Try it. Put the K-x on a tripod fixed on a scene and switch between the two and watch the exposure change on the info screen.

Why should the exposures be different?

Martin

07-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by marty-0750 Quote

Why should the exposures be different?
This has been a subject for debate, with some people believing that since your eye isn't up to the viewfinder in LV mode, light seeps in and affects the reading.

Other people say those people are complete idiots.

So the debate continues.
07-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I LOVE the name of the boat in the 11th pic lol. I've used "Anemos" since I was a kid and fell in love with sailing when my family got a sailboat.

For those that are wondering what it means and why the connection to sailing.... It means Wind, which is kind of an integral part to sailing

Btw I really like the photos in your album
07-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
Banned

I suffered also during my trip severe problems with white balance, and i had to use manual mode in order to take ok photos...
Many photos were under exposed at all modes except manul.

I purchased some photo magazines during my trip in Malaysia, and they all say that the picture quality of k-x is really bad due to exposure and white balance issues. The all ranked 550 canon as an almost perfect quality.
07-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
This is something that Pentax could fix with a firmware update. Are you listening Pentax?
07-27-2010, 02:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fekish Quote
I suffered also during my trip severe problems with white balance, and i had to use manual mode in order to take ok photos...
Many photos were under exposed at all modes except manul.

I purchased some photo magazines during my trip in Malaysia, and they all say that the picture quality of k-x is really bad due to exposure and white balance issues. The all ranked 550 canon as an almost perfect quality.
Just out of curiosity, what are the names and issue dates of these photo magazines you refer to?
07-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by richardm Quote
Hi all,

Your opinions on this album, please. I have quite a few outdoor shots which seem to be underexposed. In some cases (picture 9), it's clear that the camera is trying to pull the sky down to 18% and the guy behind the camera should be compensating. In many other cases, I'm not quite sure what's happening.

Pics 10-13 are good examples of shots that I feel are underexposed. Any thoughts?

(Ignore Pic 4 - it was edited. Also ignore the night shots - those were experimental)
i think there is not a major problem with those photos that you mentioned and that most can be fixed via post processing. im just curious but do you shoot in raw and what post processing software do you use?
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fekish Quote
I purchased some photo magazines during my trip in Malaysia, and they all say that the picture quality of k-x is really bad due to exposure and white balance issues.
And yet oddly enough, every other reviewer in the world says the opposite. Could it be one Malaysian reviewer didn't happen to like the K-x but wrote the same review for multiple magazines?
07-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marty-0750 Quote
This is something that Pentax could fix with a firmware update. Are you listening Pentax?
There's nothing broken, hence nothing to fix. The camera exposes very well according to ISO standards. It makes no attempt to read minds, but it does provide exposure compensation control - like every other camera - so you can tell the camera ow you want the exposure to differ from standard.