Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses with Quickshift

Just wondering, if my lens has quickshift, is it okay to manually focus (in an AF mode) before I press the AF, and then do auto? Or is it only after it has locked on that it's okay to go manually do it?

07-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it would defeat the purpose to have the lens AF after you focus manually.
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah, but on my 100mm, the AF hunts alot, but i don't want to constantly change it back and forth from manual to auto, and if I only manually focus afterwards, that means I have to wait for it to find something to lock onto. In field applicatoins, I'd probably just give it a nudge towards the subject and let AF do the rest, is what I had in mind
07-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Absolutely. I do that all the time with near-macro shots. It helps save a lot of unnecessary AF hunting when you get it close using quickshift first. Sometimes you have to, as the camera (my K-7 at any rate), will just refuse to even try to focus if it's too far off and looking at insufficient large-scale contrast.

07-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh, sweet, awesome! so it won't damage the gear/motor or anything?
07-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

No it won't. You can turn the focusing ring on a quick shift-enabled lens any time the AF motor isn't trying to drive it. If the motor is inactive (before the half-shutter press or after it settles into an autofocused position) you can turn the focusing ring all you want. If the motor isn't working, the lens is in "neutral".