Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #1

Warranty or Exchange?

hi guys, 2 questions,

1. if my new lens has big Front or back focus problems and is not sharp at all, then should I exchange for a new one or just directly send to warranty service?

2. I found that my sensor had 1 hot pixel, shall I use warranty service or directly use the build-in pixel mapping function? if I use warranty, does that mean they will replace the sensor or just simply do the pixel mapping as what I can do?

Thanks a lot!

07-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

what camera and what lens?

One hotpixel you should just map, no big deal, you won't miss it (and yes that is likely all they would do for you).
07-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
lens is the tamron 17 50, camera is K2000. thanks, pxpaulx
07-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you know for certain that whatever problem with sharpness / focus you are having is with the lens versus with the camera? Have you performed controlled focus tests using well-designed focus test charts with either multiple large aperture lenses or with multiple cameras?

07-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you just purchased the lens I would try an exchange - if not, tamron has a long warranty, so then you could go the warranty route - it will require you to send in your camera so they can calibrate the lens to suit your camera specifically.

Edit: and what Mark said (I was ninja'd!)
07-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seek for an exchange, DON'T even be tempted to have it repaired because the chance of fixing lens optical defect is close to zero. For the camera, 1 hot pixel is not bad really. Just do a pixel mapping and forget it. My last DS had 10+ hot pixel. Pentax Japan replaced the CCD and came back worse. Just to give you an idea.
07-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Seek for an exchange, DON'T even be tempted to have it repaired because the chance of fixing lens optical defect is close to zero. For the camera, 1 hot pixel is not bad really. Just do a pixel mapping and forget it. My last DS had 10+ hot pixel. Pentax Japan replaced the CCD and came back worse. Just to give you an idea.
Even on the 6 megapixel DS, 10 hot (sub)pixels cover less than 0.00006% of the image. Unless they're all in a bunch, it's nothing. (That's why mapping them out is so important -- when they're stuck on, they can be very annoying, but just ignoring them causes negligible loss.)
07-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Regarding the lens, if it really is bad, don't even think about having it fixed. Exchange it instead. My experience is that you get into a situation where unless it's truly horrible, you get one manufacturer blaming the other and just don't get anywhere. At the very least you'll be without the lens for weeks (about a month in my experience.)

As for one hot pixel, that's really not an issue, just mildly irritating. I can't believe any manufacturer would replace a sensor with one hot pixel.

You probably are aware that there is software that can automatically fix hot pixels after the fact, even if they are not mapped out when the image is made.

Paul

07-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for the exchange. First, you will be without the lens for less time, and second you are better off just getting a good copy rather than trying to fix one.