Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #1

I am so totally a newbee to 35 mm photography!

I have just purchased via eBay a mint condition Pentax SP500 with a Takumar lens and was wondering if I made a good choice I am waiting for it to arrive in a few days.
I also currently have 2 other 35mm cameras that I recently purchased and have yet to develop the first rolls of film in them. One is a Minolta Maxxum 9xi AF (mine) and a Minolta Maxxum 7000 AF (wife's). We have digital cameras as well (not SLR), but are interested in going old school for a while.
I live in Brandon, MS but am native to N'awlins LA.....so just wanted to say......"How y'all are"?......and also....get ready NFL the Saints are gonna march and do it again! hoooahhh!

07-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by holeymoleyman Quote
I also currently have 2 other 35mm cameras that I recently purchased and have yet to develop the first rolls of film in them.
Well, this combined with your new purchase might be a mistake.

You bought a third camera without developing a single roll from the two you already own?

What are you waiting for--The Saints to win again?
07-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm not sure I see the point of intentionally purchasing incompatible film bodies that won't be able to share lenses.

Paul
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm not sure I see the point of intentionally purchasing incompatible film bodies that won't be able to share lenses.

Paul
Yeah.

That too.

07-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Note that I've heard the SP500 really has a 1/1000 shutter speed even though the dial doesn't show it. You can click past it one more stop. Maybe some of the Spotmatic fans here can verify that.
07-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to forget the rest and just say GO SAINTS!!!!
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by landscaped1 Quote
I'm going to forget the rest and just say GO SAINTS!!!!
It's totally okay to say that now--before they actually play a game this season.
07-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
Wow, already I get the impression that newbees are not very welcome here; oh well sorry I asked.

07-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
That's cause I have seven lenses that fit the Minolta 9xi and four to fit the 7000; I failed to mention that in original posting....sorry
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
oh yea and four for the SP500; counting the one that is coming with the camera purchase
07-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Wow, already I get the impression that newbees are not very welcome here; oh well sorry I asked.
Noobs are quite welcome. I don't know why the shower of sarcasm, but what the hey. Maybe someone forgot to eat their prunes.

Your SP500 should be a good camera, though it may need to have the seals and mirror bumper replaced as well as the mirror bumper. As was noted above, legend has it that there is a secret 1/1000s shutter speed.

When you get the camera and lenses, but sure to get out shooting and post your photos HERE.

Steve
07-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

oh yea and four for the SP500; counting the one that is coming with the camera purchase
The good news: With an M42-Sony adapter, you can use the Pentax screwmount lenses on your Maxxums.
The bad news: The Saints are doomed. Utterly.
The ugly news: New Orleans is doomed also.

Meanwhile, a situation. I recently sold a pristine Maxxum 7000 and lenses for a heartbreakingly low price. Now I have a couple of clean SRT-101s and some superb glass, and I must sell those too, and they'll bring about NOTHING. Right now is the best time in history to be buying film cameras... and the worst time to be selling them, unless they're Holgas. 135 SLRs are cheaper than sandwiches. Professional medium-format cams (except some 645s) cost only slightly more. My bro-in-law, former wedding fotog, has a derelict Bronica system he won't sell because it's just not worth it -- he wouldn't make enough to cover a weekend's bar tab.

And so it goes. I'll keep using my other 135 cams for awhile, until I run out of film. Then maybe I'll be able to afford to have it developed...
07-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks Steve, I definitely will post some photos as I get them. It has been so miserably hot here in Brandon, MS with heat index past 102 for a week now that it doesn't make for comfortable photo shoots.

Have a Blessed day!
Robert
07-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have two Spotmatics, an H1 and an H3v, all very similar to the SP500. In fact, the SP500 is just a Spotmatic without the self-timer and without the marked 1/1000 second shutter speed.

I have never owned an SP500, but I'm pretty sure that the rumors about the 1/1000 second shutter speed are correct, although, even when new, that setting was not guaranteed to be accurate. IIRC, Pentax would not entertain warranty claims regarding the 1/1000 speed, either. The H1 is the same way. It only has speeds marked up to 1/500, but there is another click stop on the dial.

I think you will like the SP500. I find the Spotmatic to be the most comfortable camera to hold, that I've ever encountered. I may be biased, because one of those Spotmatics was my first "real" camera. I saved and bought it new while in high school, in 1967.

If it has been cared for, it should be good. They were built like tanks. You will have to learn to use stop-down metering, but it isn't difficult. In fact, I used to like mine, because it was a convenient way to do DOF preview.

Super Takumar lenses of that era range from very good to excellent. Again, they are very well built, especially compared to the plastic fantastics of today. They're heavier than a modern lens, but I find the extra weight comforting. I think that it also helps stabilize the camera, although that may just be my imagination.

If your camera needs any repair work, Eric Hendrickson at Home is a former Honeywell service technician who has a reputation for being the best there is for classic Pentax repair. However, anything more than a CLA may not be economically justifiable for an inexpensive and common camera like that.