Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #1

Incorrect Kit Lens - Is it worth spending time in exchanging it?

Hi,

I recently bought K-7 with DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR. However, Beach Camera delivered DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II not WR.
They have asked me if I want to return the lens. Now to return it, I'll have to send lens back to US (Am in India) and wait for 2 weeks.
Was wondering if WR is worth all this effort?

07-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short Answer, yes. 100.00USD difference in price but the biggy is having a WR body AND WR lens is great in foul weather. And I've heard that it rains occasionally in India;-)
07-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't give it a second thought. The WR lens is much more valuable. Just do it.
07-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely. A 2 week wait is nothing for getting a full WR body and lens. If you do not return it, please do not come back to this forum, haha, just kidding, but seriously though, return it now.

07-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And make sure that Beach Camera pays the shipping both ways...

Steve
07-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Ask for a "cross shipping" if you need a lens during that 2-3 week time. You can get the WR before sending back the other. They will likely put a charge on your credit card and refund it when they get the returned lens.
07-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

That seems to be beach camera/buydig's modus operendi, I ordered the K7 from them and they tried to pull the same trick. I actually ended up returning the whole kit and getting a k-x instead and used the money I saved to buy another lens.

07-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd rather pay more than being scammed.
07-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I finally decided to get lens changed.
As per suggestions here, I had mailed them mentioning Cross-Shipping and to confirm that they'll be paying for both side shipping. They have asked me to call them back.
Considering time difference, I can do that tonight only.. Another day gone by
But a friend of mine is flying to US tonight, So I'll give him lens anywayz.
Worse case, same thing will come back in 15 days.
Best case, They pay for shipping and I get WR in 15 days or more.

Let's see how it goes.
07-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
Update: I spoke to customer service of Beach Camera and they are asking me to send both camera and lens. Which doesn't seem possible to me. Apart from luggage issues, There's also custom to consider.
Agent told me to mail again to the guy I've been in contact with and check if only lens can be returned. Done that and now waiting for them to reply.
Let's see how it goes.
Never knew a normal purchase can lead to so many hassles
07-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I actually wrote a review detailing the bad experience I had and I just went and checked their website. They removed my review.

Also make sure you check your credit card when they issue the refund, initially they didn't refunt the amount I paid for expedited shipping and I had to catch them and push them to get that money back too and if you are in India, you probably paid a lot more for shipping.

I ended up ordering from Adorama, much better.
07-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #12

Original Poster
No wonder I could see only glowing reviews
Anyways, they've finally agreed to change just the lens. But they refuse to pay for international shipping. Luckily a friend of mine is flying to US tonight, so I'm sending lens with him. He can ship from US itself. Safer, Quicker and Cheaper.
Funnily enough, BC guys have told me, they'll not do cross shipping and will refund only cheapest USPS rates.
Right now, I really don't care. After 10 mails and multiple calls, I just want my lens back.

Anywayz I'm going to stick with Amazon only, no more market places for me :P
07-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Sorry you have experienced these problems, at least the comments here won't be deleted (hopefully), so they'll benefit others looking to purchase in the future.

Paul
07-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #14

I ordered from Buydig/Beach Camera too and they did the same sleazy trick
I returned the lens itself but they still messed it up the second time.
07-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
Inactive Account

This seems to be a habit for them. Sent Pentax customer care an email, hopefully they will have some kind of disciplinary action they can take for an authorized retailer operating unethically. I can only imagine that there are lots of buydig customers who have recevied this and not even noticed that they were given the wrong lens only to think that the WR claim is BS at somepoint down the road.