Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D Rear E-dial Won't Work

The rear e-dial on my K10D won't work. It turns, but the aperture doesn't change. It just stays on F-- (not blinking). I shoot mostly Pentax-M primes in full manual (M) mode, so in the settings I have the green button set to Av mode for when it's pressed in TAv or M modes. I don't use a grip.

The K10D manual says that pressing the green button gives approximate settings, and that the user can then use the front and rear e-dials to get a more accurate shutter speed and aperture. So, I tried it for myself, and only the front e-dial (for shutter speed) works. No matter what mode I'm in the rear e-dial just stays on F--. I even reset the camera to default settings and and it still wouldn't work.

Am I overlooking something or doing something wrong? Is my camera broken? Do I need to send it in for servicing? TIA for any and all help.

07-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With an M lens, the read e-dial does nothing, as you obviously can't adjust the aperture using it. I believe you can configure it instead adjust EV shift, but I know that's not what you were looking to do.

Since Pentax DSLRs have 'crippled' mounts, they have no way of even telling what the F stop is when a manual lens is mounted. You are therefore confined to the aperture ring

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks! I put my 18-55 lens on and the rear e-dial worked, so that's when the light bulb came on. I couldn't delete the post because it wasn't yet approved and appearing in the forum. I don't use the e-dials, but wanted to start and I just didn't put 2 and 2 together at first. But, I betcha I'll never forget again.