Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #1

I have a question?

Hi.
I have a question and I know it may seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone could help me figure this out. This is more a computer question rather than a photography question, I guess.

I noticed when I take a photo and look in the property values on my computer for that particular photo, it gives all the information about the camera and settings I used on that photo, which is great. However, as soon as I take the photo into an editing program and modify the image, for example rotate the image and save it, all the camera specs in the property values disappear. For the life of me I can't figure out how to keep them in there for future reference.

I would really like to keep the camera specs and settings in the property values of the photos for future reference, as I'm new to DSLR photography and find this useful. I do understand I can make certain changes to the photograph within the camera, but I'm wondering how to stop this when taking it into another program on my computer.

Anyone have any ideas? I use Windows Vista, if that's any help?

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong part of the forum.

Thanks in advance.

I might add I am totally amazed at the wealth of information on this forum. I've been stuck here reading threads for days and have yet to get into taking many photos with my new K-x.

Last edited by Kimbolina; 07-20-2010 at 11:28 PM.
07-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
What program are you using when you view the photograph information (known as exif data). What program are you using to edit it? And in what program do you try to look at the exif information again?

The information is likely still there, so no worries.
07-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some software, especially older software, strips the Exif data when it saves a JPG. Others do so as well in some situations, especially if you're saving for web or email or some such similar operation.. To help further, it would be useful to know what software you are using..

07-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi lowspark86

I only right clicked on the properties of the photo in Windows but rotated the photo in and old version of Paintshop Pro to see if it had any affect on the property values, as I found out sadly it does.

I don't really have any other editing programs for photos on my Pc.

Is it Paintshop Pro doing it, or is the info still there in hiding?

07-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Oh I see. I think you just answered my question Jeff. Thanks

Shame there is no way to keep it there with this program, as it's all I have at the moment.
07-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Download and install PhotoMe

PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor

and use it to view the info for your photos.

If you want to do simple edits, RawTherapee is a nice (free) program for simple things, like rotations.

RawTherapee 3.0 alpha 1 and license changes

07-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank You Jeff. I will do that for now.

I was looking at a program that someone mentioned here called Lightzone any idea if this program removes the property values?

Thank You both for answering my question, I can stop pulling my hair out now

07-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
While I don't know first hand, I would assume Lightzone wouldn't strip the information. Any modern photo editor should leave it intact.

Here is a list and description of other free software, if RawTherapee doesn't work out for you:
Enticing the Light | Free Photo Software Resources
Put together by Peter Zack.
07-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
Oh thank you very much lowspark86
Much appreciated
07-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kimbolina Quote
Thank You Jeff. I will do that for now.

I was looking at a program that someone mentioned here called Lightzone any idea if this program removes the property values?

Thank You both for answering my question, I can stop pulling my hair out now
I use photoshop CS4 so I am not all too familiar with the freebies anymore. Raw Therapee was a good one back in the day. If it doesn't work for you by all means check out the others. Something is sure to work out for you. Another you may want to look into is The Gimp. It's a photoshop like package (somewhat similar to Paint Shop Pro as well) that is very full featured and does support the latest Pentax RAW formats (that may matter to you at some point)..

07-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank You Jeff, I did at one stage look at Photoshop but I got a headache just looking at it

Lightzone isn't a free program but from what I can gather it's probably along the same lines as Adobe Lightroom. I found it fascinating what they were able to achieve and this was just from watching their video. However, for now I'll stick with the freebies as I haven't been able to take many photos yet because I've been too interested in reading the posts here.

Learnt a lot but haven't done anything yet!
07-21-2010, 04:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure which version of PSP you have but in PSP X here is how you turn the exif save function on and off.

1. Choose File/Save As to open the Save As dialog box.
2. Click on the Options button (Mine is on the lower right side)
3. Click on the Run Optimizer button (Mine is on the lower right side)
4. Make sure Save Exif Data box is checked.

I think this makes saving the Exif data the default.

Tim
07-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks Tim,

Unfortunately my version is even older than that V7.02 lol
So it doesn't have that option in there at all, but I do appreciate your help.

Looks like I'll have to give poor old psp the boot and go for another program. Thanks again, much appreciated.
07-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can get PSP X2 pretty cheap ($25) here in the US. You might want to do a web search over your way. The new versions of PSP are very good and do virtually everything the Photoshop does. However, the newer Pentax cameras may not be supported for Raw conversion.

Amazon.com: Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate: Windows XP: Software

Tim
07-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #15

Original Poster
Looks like Version X2 Ultimate is about the same price as X3 over here. I've used psp for years just never upgraded because I never had any reason to, until now. However I think for the same price I might buy LightZone instead and see how that goes.

Thank You Tim