Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like most here, I put it in my pocket if I'm out, or back in the bag if I'm at home. I've only lost 2 caps in my brief 3 year history of shooting. The first was when I didn't actually put it in my pocket at the top of a lighthouse. That sucker is history. The second was when I left it in the pocket of my shorts. They went through the wash and were promptly packed away for the winter. Imagine my suprise this spring when I found my lens cap.

07-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #32
Inactive Account

I use an ebay cap that doubles as a white balance tool. Comes with a string so it won't be lost, and by pointing it to the light source it's fast to set a custom white balance. (It's a little on the blue side, but solved by dialing in a warmer shift - and it's consistent whenever I use manual white balance.)

07-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Yep. Pockets. I keep rigid lens hoods on just about every lens, and usually don't cap them except for storage: a rigid hood pointed down in the bag is usually just as good. With exceptions for more vulnerable lenses, they come off and tend to stay off, sometimes until I get home.

Cap-keepers are awfully-annoying, which seems to be the OP's complaint. I do have a few caps with strings or keepers they came with that I didn't bother to remove, which are never attached to anything, ...just to make them easier to remove, or to realize the lens is capped without looking, and such.

One trick I do use is for rangefinders: anything you might actually shoot with without noticing the cap is on. A dangly string on the cap with a little bead on it will kind of bang around and make itself known,and help prevent any embarrassing shooting-with-cap-on situations.
08-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Shirt pocket. I don't buy shirts without them. I cannot stand having some dangly thing flopping around from the camera (I've grown to hate neck straps as well).

Yes, I ordered an Op/tech Pro neck strap for my K-x, have had both for about a week. I'm not happy with dealing with the strap being on there all the time. You can remove the center portion of the strap and click the ends together, but the ends bother me. I may choose to use the simple wrist cord that came with my P&S, instead for all but expeditions. However, attaching or detaching the strap is a bothersome exercise. I'll have to see... I've given some thought to adapting the attachment system for the strap in order to make detachment/attachment much more simple, yet remain secure, adjustable, ergonomic. I have some ideas. :ugh:

08-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't bother with such trivialities. I merely instruct my humble but ambitious gear-bearer, Ansel, to select and mount the proper lens for the occasion. Of course it is presented to me sans cap, clean, hood in place, ready to use, and pointed in the right direction. It is usually accompanied by a cold Bombay Gin martini to keep my imagination properly stimulated. I don't ask Ansel what he does with the lens caps; that's his worry, not mine. Cheers!
Yes, reminds me of the time I applied for a job at a photo studio. The guy who ran it was a total prima donna. He wanted an assistant who would do all the s__t work, while he evidently would lounge and do God knows what in the loft with the models. I didn't get the job.
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #36
Banned

I leave lens caps at home or in my pants pocket.
08-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Once you get used to realizing the cap is an important thing to keep up with, you will treat it like anything else of value and probably not even notice you are taking it off, putting it in your pocket or wherever you will choose, take photos and then put it back on...it will be come second nature.

I have never lost a cap in the 30 years I have been messing around with photo equipment.

Jason

08-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Lens caps

It used to be that virtually all lens caps were friction fits. They were generally metal in the shape of a flat disc with edges raised 90 degrees about 1/4" high more or less. A felt strip lined the inside of the raised edge to insure a snug slip on fit on the outside of the lens' front.

They were simple, inexpensive and relatively trouble free. There was no need to squeeze or pinch the sides or to double check to make sure they were properly seated.

They very successfully excluded all dust and dirt.

Why did things get so complicated without being in the least improved in function?

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 08-08-2010 at 12:29 AM.
12-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #39

I leave it on the lens for safe keeping. Just makes the pictures a little underexposed, that's all
12-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #40

I keep them in either my left or right back pocket. I should really condition myself to use only one though.
12-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I put it in the front of my camera kit bag in a pocket there and zip it up until I need to put the lens away again. I rarely take a camera out with only one lens and while I don't always carry my whole kit bag I usually have a bag I can stick my camera and one extra lens in and whatever I am carrying usually has a handy pocket for that.
12-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #42

Photos: Albums
I don't even have caps for my lenses. It is an elegant solution, and works well for me
12-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Wow, I was hoping this thread would tell me what to do with my limited metal lens caps. I don't have a problem with storing them while I am shooting...they go in the bag or my pocket. The problem is that they can fall off when I am walking around with them on the camera. I could probably find a way to make them fit tighter, but I'm wondering if there are other Pentaz caps, or aftermarket caps, with threads or pinch thingies, to use on these lenses?
12-14-2010, 04:27 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought from a ebay seller a few spare clip in caps, for penny money, for all my lenses.

It worked a treat.

Since then I have not lost one.!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by adwb; 12-14-2010 at 04:39 AM.
12-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #45

I went through a newbie phase of replacing my lens caps with tethered ones. I had a split ring attached to the camera strap which they could be attached to with a clip. Working with a single lens, I found that convenient. However, it became a lot less convenient when I got more into using multiple lenses. Switching between one prime and another you want to be quick and smooth, and having to unclip and then clip the lens cap added a significant fiddly bit.

Currently I keep lens caps on the lens as much as possible, and when I take it off, either hold it in my hand or put it in a pocket.