Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Not sure how you get away from caps. Without them something is getting scratched - either the front element of the lens or the filter you put in front of the front element. Caps are an easy solution to that issue and not costly if you don't care who sends it to you. Why wouldn't one use caps?
I had assumed that most people carry their lenses with the front facing down in a bag. The hood would prevent the front element from touching anything, but that only works if your bag is tall enough. My waist pack isn't tall enough for a lens longer than the 50-200mm, but I haven't found a taller current model that will still hold a body with any lens attached, plus two other fat lenses, and the usual other stuff (filters, batteries, cards, etc.)

Removing the hood and putting on the front cap seems like a nuisance, and I haven't done that for decades. I've always carried lenses face down with their hoods attached. It seems like I often change lenses for every picture, because my lenses don't have that much zoom range, and I usually carry only one body. I might revert to using a cap if I had a 10-300mm.

Paul

12-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
The centre pinch caps are very good but the plastic tabs tend to be rather smooth and slippery. It is too bad they aren't moulded with horizontal ridges.
However, gluing a strip of medium sandpaper to the tabs makes them much easier to use.
Olympus ones are far easier to handle - I couldn't belive how awful the Pentax ones were when I got my camera.
12-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I had assumed that most people carry their lenses with the front facing down in a bag. The hood would prevent the front element from touching anything, but that only works if your bag is tall enough. My waist pack isn't tall enough for a lens longer than the 50-200mm, but I haven't found a taller current model that will still hold a body with any lens attached, plus two other fat lenses, and the usual other stuff (filters, batteries, cards, etc.)

Removing the hood and putting on the front cap seems like a nuisance, and I haven't done that for decades. I've always carried lenses face down with their hoods attached. It seems like I often change lenses for every picture, because my lenses don't have that much zoom range, and I usually carry only one body. I might revert to using a cap if I had a 10-300mm.

Paul
Paul,

I put caps on to protect the exposed front element. When stored without a cap it is inevitable for particles to accumulate on the element. If I clean the cap and place it on the lens, with the hood, then the lens is protected from smaller assaults than the hood can protect it from by itself.

I see no way to maintain top quality glass in pristine shape without lens caps even with good hoods and clean camera/lens bags.

-Robert
12-29-2010, 02:44 AM   #64
Site Supporter

pants pocket, or in my jacket. do you really want photos of it???

12-29-2010, 03:51 AM   #65
Inactive Account

I like things that dangle.