Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Those caps with attached string are the devil's invention.
Try to take a picture and they are always dangling in your face.

I have tried gluing a small piece of velcro to the cap and its partner to the shoulder strap.
Better but it still gets in the way.

I think the man or woman who invented pockets deserves a medal for the best cap keeper.

Mickey

07-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Those caps with attached string are the devil's invention.
Try to take a picture and they are always dangling in your face.

I have tried gluing a small piece of velcro to the cap and its partner to the shoulder strap.
Better but it still gets in the way.

I think the man or woman who invented pockets deserves a medal for the best cap keeper.

Mickey
Right on Mickey!
07-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I put it in my right back pocket every time. Had to discipline myself but now that I have I always know where it is.
I have to remember NOT to put it in my back trouser pocket as I sit down on them. They are not strong. Front pocket for me.
07-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I have to remember NOT to put it in my back trouser pocket as I sit down on them. They are not strong. Front pocket for me.
I am a pack rat, and my front pockets are always overfilled. I use shirts with pockets, preferably buttoned pockets, and at times put the cap there. Generally, however, I remove the lens hood and cap, put the cap in my bag and replace the lens hood. I see no need for lens caps with the hood on, and I always use (or extend) the hood.

07-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't bother with such trivialities. I merely instruct my humble but ambitious gear-bearer, Ansel, to select and mount the proper lens for the occasion. Of course it is presented to me sans cap, clean, hood in place, ready to use, and pointed in the right direction. It is usually accompanied by a cold Bombay Gin martini to keep my imagination properly stimulated. I don't ask Ansel what he does with the lens caps; that's his worry, not mine. Cheers!
07-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm gonna be boring and agree with most everyone else. I just stick my cap in my pocket when I remove it. It's so second-nature to me now that I threw myself for a loop last week when I wore some shorts that had no pockets. I couldn't quite figure out what to do at first.
07-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
As the thread title requests.....do you have pictures of how this works? I would like to see it in action. Thinking about getting one of these setups for myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't bother with such trivialities. I merely instruct my humble but ambitious gear-bearer, Ansel, to select and mount the proper lens for the occasion. Of course it is presented to me sans cap, clean, hood in place, ready to use, and pointed in the right direction. It is usually accompanied by a cold Bombay Gin martini to keep my imagination properly stimulated. I don't ask Ansel what he does with the lens caps; that's his worry, not mine. Cheers!

07-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I'm the only person who actually finds the cap leash useful, at least in some situations. If I'm going to be taking a lot of pix, I can quickly remove the leash from the camera and shove the cap in a pocket. But, if I'm in a position or situation where I'm unlikely to use the camera (e.g., driving, riding the subway/train/etc.), the leash has kept me from losing the cap altogether when accidentally bumped against something. Somewhere in subterranean Philadelphia there are 3 or 4 caps I've lost this way.
07-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #24

Original Poster
I have a Dimage Z2 that I use for Craigslist, and it comes with a strap on the lens. I like that I can NOT lose it. I've gotten myself in a habit of holding the dangling cap with my left hand, because otherwise I end up with "a mickey ear" in my shots. Consider though that when I'm using THAT camera, I'm moving all over, cleaning, prepping items, picking things up, laying them down, measuring them, hitting the voice recorder with measurements and details, rearranging items, and such. As a result of all the different little parts of what I'm doing, I'm continually losing my keys, camera, sunglasses and such. Goes with my speed listing style. But for my DSLR, I'm NOT listing. I'm using it for other reasons. I just haven't managed to get myself in the habit of sticking the cap in my pocket yet.
I always have to think about it. I have issues with wearing collar shirts, so I'm usually in a T-shirt, so no shirt pocket.
So far I like the lens hood idea best. I always store my K-X in my bag, so that may be a lot easier.
07-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I always have to think about it. I have issues with wearing collar shirts, so I'm usually in a T-shirt, so no shirt pocket.
So far I like the lens hood idea best. I always store my K-X in my bag, so that may be a lot easier.
Ah, there is your answer - buy t-shirts with pockets :-)
07-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Ah, there is your answer - buy t-shirts with pockets :-)
I tend to do a lot of low-level shooting with the result that the cap often falls out of my shirt pocket. As a result, it usually goes in the pocket of my pants and stays there until the photo session is finished. A hood stays on the lens to protect the front element.

Steve
07-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
pants pocket... simple, small.. and effektiv....
otherwise, you should buy clear filter plus UV filter, put your caps lens in your cabinet and let your camera without caps...
then you should not worry about caps lens anymore...
07-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
When I'm shooting, I store lenses front down with the hood on, the cap usually stays in the bag somewhere. When I'm traveling I reverse the hood and put the cap back on for protection.
ditto

best way to work.
07-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #29
Inactive Account

I usually tuck my cap into a pocket somewhere and if I don't have pockets then I'll put it in my purse or bag. I would like one of those strap covers that has a spot for the lens cap that would be nice and convenient.
07-25-2010, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Self Employed Debt Free

Hey, SEDF,

"I always have to think about it. I have issues with wearing collar shirts, so I'm usually in a T-shirt, so no shirt pocket."

Do you remember The Fonz? He always wore T shirts with short sleeves.
He kept his pack of cigarettes rolled up in his sleeve.

Do you suppose it might work with a lens cap?

Mickey