Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Kx or K7 for travel

I am looking for actual user feed-back in order to help me choose the most appropriate camera for travel.

First, the setting: traveling by car in Europe, mostly cities, dry climate, intend to shoot indoor and outdoor, streets and architecture, using the FA Limited trio.

Why the question:

At the beginning I thought about taking the Kx but the WB problems (meaning significantly less accurate than the K7) and the less performant SR made me think twice. In favor of the Kx would be the size and weight, the non threatening color (white), the use of AA batteries, the high ISO performance.

How one would cope with the WB - this is what I loathe the most about the Kx, and after that the LCD screen. Should I take a grey card, is it easy to manually set-up the WB?(never used a grey card before)

Thanks in advance!

07-22-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
At the beginning I thought about taking the Kx but the WB problems (meaning significantly less accurate than the K7) and the less performant SR made me think twice. In favor of the Kx would be the size and weight, the non threatening color (white), the use of AA batteries, the high ISO performance.
Are people in Europe afraid of black cameras?

If you can't be bothered with using a flash, I might go with the K-x for the high ISO. I would think most WB problems can be fixed in PP, unless you are one of those who looks down on PP.

Of course, if you don't want to be switching lenses much, maybe you should take both bodies. But then again you have not listed any shooting scenarios where there'd be much fast moving action.
07-22-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

I am looking for actual user feed-back in order to help me choose the most appropriate camera for travel.

How one would cope with the WB - this is what I loathe the most about the Kx, and after that the LCD screen.
I never heard of anyone loathing the K-x's WB (especially with RAW), or anyone loathing an LCD.

So if you think the K7 takes better pictures for your style, why the question? You answered it yourself.
07-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

At the beginning I thought about taking the Kx but the WB problems (meaning significantly less accurate than the K7) and the less performant SR
Where did you get this from??
I wouldn't worry about WB, I use my K-m with Auto WB 90% of the time without any issues, K-x supposed to have better AWB. By the way, shoot RAW and problem solved.

07-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I didn't know the k-x had white balance problems. I have owned one since January, and on the contrary I think the white balance is exceptional. I like it much better than the canon 550D that I returned shortly after Christmas. I have found the only time I have a problem with white balance is when there are two different forms of light in the room (incadescent bulb and strong sunlight).

But as far as a travel camera...all I know is that since I put the Da 40 limited on my K-x it is so compact and fun to carry around. It feels like a large point and shoot. I don't have to worry about the lens getting banged up when I have the camera around my neck. I absolutely love that combination.
07-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Regarding auto wb...Have you tried to use Kx in mixed light (for example a church with tungsten light mixed with daylight)? I can tell you the Kx sucks great time in Auto WB (at least compared witrh the K7, because I have never had any other DSLR)

Regarding LCD...IMHO, I don't think one would praise after handling a K7 or Nikon D90 or other camera with a 1 milion pixels LCD.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your interest and answers!

Probably I will go for the Kx since it seems more adapted to travel and street photography and try to shoot raw in difficult situations

Cheers!
07-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed - not sure you got the idea that the K-x was any worse about reading your mind with reagrd to WB than any other camera, but it just isn't true.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-22-2010 at 01:19 PM.
07-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

The K-x's Auto WB is only going to default to one of the presets--it doesn't read various color temperatures in a scene and give you a perfect setting.

Does any camera actually do that?

Just asking.
07-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

At the beginning I thought about taking the Kx but the WB problems (meaning significantly less accurate than the K7) and the less performant SR made me think twice.
Whatever camera you've got, set it to auto white balance, shoot raw, and forget about it.

QuoteQuote:
In favor of the Kx would be the size and weight, the non threatening color (white), the use of AA batteries, the high ISO performance.
Well, look at it from the other direction. What would be the ADVANTAGE of taking a K-7? I gather you have a K-7 as well as a K-x although I don't think you actually said this. Anyway, what does the K-7 give you that you need on vacation? Two e-dials? Nah. Weather-sealing, well, maybe, but probably not. And which camera would you rather lose or have stolen while traveling?

I recently returned from vacation in Yellowstone National Park here in the US of A. For years I've been lugging my Pentax DSLRs, at least one, with a selection of lenses. Hiking to the bottom of Grand Canyon last December, after some agonizing, I decided I could live without the battery grip, but I still carried a K20D and a couple of lenses (one of which I' don't think I ended up using at all). Got some great photos but, well, hike to the bottom of Grand Canyon in a snowstorm with a K20D in your pack and you'll get a real good sense of just how much stuff weighs. Anyway for my recent vacation I decided to leave the really good equipment at home and take a couple of good Panasonic compact cameras. Worked out fine.

Will

(photo below taken with Panasonic FZ35)

07-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks all for replies. I still stand by my opinion regarding my Kx auto WB because I've seen it in comparison to my K7 (yes, I have them both)
I hardly think this would come as a surprise since the K7 has a separate sensor for WB and boy, it is working wonders.
Will upload some test shots in the near future, stand by
07-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

thanks all for replies. I still stand by my opinion regarding my Kx auto WB because I've seen it in comparison to my K7 (yes, I have them both)
I hardly think this would come as a surprise since the K7 has a separate sensor for WB and boy, it is working wonders.
Will upload some test shots in the near future, stand by
The consensus of everyone here is that you couldn't be more wrong about the K-x's AWB.

And you still want to belabor this point?

I won't be standing by.
07-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd say whatever difference you are seeing must be in some camera setting - Bright versus Natural mode, a customization that has been dialed in to the AWB or to the specific Picture mode you are using, or the option to do to the more versus less aggressive correction for tungsten light.

QuoteQuote:
I hardly think this would come as a surprise since the K7 has a separate sensor for WB
I believe you are mistaken on this. What the K-7 has a sensor to detect the light color and adjust *focus* accordingly, but this shoudln't to my knowledge have any effect at all on the WB of the camera.
07-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
The consensus of everyone here is that you couldn't be more wrong about the K-x's AWB.

And you still want to belabor this point?

I won't be standing by.
Looks like fella's mind was already made up. Not quite sure why he even bothered to ask. Craving external confirmation?