Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #1

Added Photos - Photography in Sunlight

Hi,

Many times when I take landscape photos in bright sunlight, there is certain haze which I believe is the reflection or glitter of sun light. How to overcome this issue?

Sample photos with this issue:-

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited by kharenitin; 07-22-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added sample photos
07-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I might guess at an answer, but it would help if you post some examples of this. Indicate what lens and exposure data.
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, without examples, it's hard to diagnose. If there's haze, a polarizing filter might help cut that out. If it's some sort of lens flare or stray reflections, a lens hood will help with that, unless you are shooting directly into the sun.
07-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Use a hood (always), don't use a UV filter. And when in doubt, don't shoot directly into the sun. That should solve 90% of flare problems.

07-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the sun is somewhere in front of you, any dust, smoke or haze will show up.
07-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Haze in your shot can occur for many reasons both natural and man-made in conditions such as water vapor, smoke, pollution, etc. In addition to Marc's most excellent advise, you can cut haze down some with post processing often using the unsharpen tool. You need to play with the settings but large radius of 60 or more and an amount around 0.4ish may help. Try it.
07-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm assuming you are talking about atmospheric haze. Some haze can be useful as it can give a sense of depth to a photo, but more often it obscures details that you want to show.

If the haze is uniform throughout the image, it can be removed by adjusting contrast. Sometimes simply clicking auto contrast adjustment will do the trick.

If the haze is not uniform, you have to mask out the non-hazy areas of the image in order to get a contrast adjustment to work.

In either case, contrast adjustment can work wonders. In my flickr photostream I have some photos of the Pittsburgh skyline that had heavy haze which I removed as described above.

07-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
If it is atmospheric haze there are ways to reduce it in post processing. If you have a program that you use I would recommend doing a web search with the program name and "remove haze." Even with very basic programs there are ways to improve it. With more powerful programs results can be even better, and all can be had for free. The unsharp mask technique given by tuco works well.

Using a hood in bright sunlight is also good advice to reduce flare and preserve contrast.
07-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The samples you posted show atmospheric haze. Completely normal especially in the summertime, easily fixed using the methods I outlined in post #7.
07-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks!

I tried contrast adjustment it worked very well. Thanks for sharing the trick. Its just that I am very lazy in post processing.