Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

No, that's a fanboy response from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. I doubt that he is a "professional". I work for a magazine publishing company. Our director of photography and all the photographers we contract with shoot Canon or Nikon. None of them are brand snobs or fanboys. None have ever commented one way or another on my choice to shoot Pentax. (Note: although I've done a couple of shoots for the magazine to fill in in a pinch, my job is accounting, not photography).

07-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Fanboy alert.
At this point, any camera is capable of making pictures that will satisfy most any user.
I suspect that the "pro" is correct about the advice regarding a higher end P&Ss though.
FWIW, this "pro" chose Pentax because of the lenses. Neither Canon nor Nikon looked right after I had educated my eye somewhat.
07-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Different strokes. I wouldn't put too much stock into what "professionals" say. With all due respect to the pros who Do post here, most I've ever met, don't screw around with online forums. A True professional will tell you that you should buy whatever works for you. They may know and suggest their own brand but will do so with the caveat that they've invested $10k-$20k or more in their rigs. A true pro will ask What you want to do with your camera. That is, do you want to print 24in wide prints or do you just want to post on the internet. Even then, a P&S is Never going to equal or better the quality of a DSLR, of Any brand because, Yes, It IS about the size of the sensor.

If her desire was HD Video, MY suggestion would have been a Video Camera.

07-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
...With all due respect to the pros who Do post here, most I've ever met, don't screw around with online forums...
I suspect you're right. As I mentioned a couple of posts above, I work for a magazine publishing company, so I know quite a few pros. Although I've never asked any of them, never once have I heard any of them mention online forums. They're all too busy working their tails off to make a living.

07-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I agree with everyting you say, with the exception of the following
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
....... And nearly all will be junk in just a few years. The longevity of modern plastics (and optical resins) and electronics is questionable. Some of us use photo gear that's a century old. Will that 5D Mk II still be functioning in ten years? Will it be laughably obsolete then?.....
I own a PZ-1 as do many other forum members, which is a plastic /polycarbonate over metal camera with 4 microprocessors.

This camera is almost 20 years old and aside from the normal scrapes and scratches is cosmetically better than my Kx (OK the KX is older still) but it is in better shape than my KX was 20 years ago.

The unfortunate the difference between 20 year old gear (or todays dslrs for that matter) is that 100 year old gear was simple and made with machine tools that are still available to hand produce parts. Spares for electronics are not as readily available, when these cameras fail,, they fail for good, unless there is a supply of scrappers to steal parts from
07-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Spares for electronics are not as readily available, when these cameras fail,, they fail for good, unless there is a supply of scrappers to steal parts from

True, except that it always seems that whatever part went out on my electronic camera is the same part that went out on ALL the cameras in the junk pile.
07-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
With all due respect to the pros who Do post here, most I've ever met, don't screw around with online forums.
Some of us are semi retired and have more time.
07-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I'm often the only non Canon / Nikon user on various jobs, does this bother me, not one jot, do I get paid for my images, yes, is this not what being a professional is all about.

07-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

It has to really bother a Beverly Hills wedding photographer when half of the guests with cameras are using the same Nikon that HE'S using.

Like, what's wrong with this picture?
07-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

@Lowell,
My plastic ZX-M is in fine shape (except that the previous owner stuck MoonEyes on its back). But its electronics are several orders of magnitude simpler than my K20D. I've had more than one digital P&S crap out on me, made with many of the same materials and components as more complex cams. Electronic devices rely upon capacitors, which leak and die. And upon resistors, which can fry and die. Digital devices rely on semiconductor gates, which can be hit by gamma rays and die. And we all hope to avoid EMP, eh? And even if a decade-old cam still functions, who is happy with its 1mpx output? Old digicams are essentially junk, excdpt when displayed in hip museums.

@Ira,
Many of those Berverly/Hollyweird guests will be toting gold Leicas costing rather more than the pro's pedestrian Nikon (and maybe his home too). At least Dennis Hopper won't be there to scare everyone.
07-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now in a year or two I will reply to said "professional" as above (incidentally the pro is a she - but w.a.n.k.e.r.s. can come in both genders), but for now I will be happy in my own knowledge - and of buying a camera that has made me very happy with the quality of shots I am already getting. Ahh feel better now;-)

Cheers Kelly
07-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Quote:
It has nothing to do with whether she will want a FF camera or not.

It is to do with the quality of the image produced. Canon puts their effort into quality rather than features. Also Canon has far better noise handling, so the extra ISO range is counteracted by the fact that the noise makes it less usable. She would be better off just shooting wide open with the 50mm f1.8 so she can use a lower ISO.

If she wants a camera with HD recording and all the other bells and whistles, then she is better off getting a coolpix, or a G10 or whatever the upper end P&S's are at the moment.

There is also the quality of the lenses - you get much better image quality for your money with a Canon lens than you do with any other brand.

There is a reason that Canon and Nikon own nearly the entire market. They are better cameras. Pentax and similar only sell to people who want cheap features at the expense of quality of camera.

Sound like a frog in a well . Its world is the well .
07-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

"at least Pentax doesn't use Ashton Kutcher to sell its cameras"

yeah,we got Drew Barrymore...not that i'm complaining or anything.
07-24-2010, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #29

Photos: Albums
A fanboy opinion deserves a Pentax fanboy response. The usual tip off that there are canikons about are furious rattles of shutters banging away 20 or 30 shots at a go, followed by a chorus of grunts as they check to see if any of their shots are usable....
JMO

Sorry that the attached pics are a little out of focus, the wife was laughing a bit when she snapped them.

I chimp, you chimp, we chimp...

07-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #30
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
sorry that the attached pics are a little out of focus, the wife was laughing a bit when she snapped them.

I chimp, you chimp, we chimp...

What were they all watching?