Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have in the days of film owned several brands mostly canon and for the last 7 years Pentax .I think that the top end all the brands have the weakness and strong points, and all the brands have features that as users we appreciate or dislike.
When I hear any one sprout of about their choice of camera system being the best and decry all other brands I don't even bother to listen to them.
As 60 year old I have been around long enough not to waste what time I have left on self opinionated bigots.
I stopped buying pentax at the K10d for no other reason than I would rather spend money on lenses. I see no reason to progress any further , if you can't take a decent well balanced composition and well exposed with a K10d you certainly won't with any other brand either.
If I have one regret about Pentax it is the slow rate of image taking in continuous mode and if I was a sports/ action photographer that would have long since made me look elsewhere.
just my pennies worth,
Alistair

08-05-2010, 06:40 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
I shopped for 2 years (off and on) for my first DSLR, deciding on the K-x a few weeks ago. One review at Amazon influenced me as much as any other. It was by a guy who bought a T2i, and wasn't happy with it. He complained about how plasticy and toy like it was, how he was stuck with Apple Quicktime for the video with it's inevitable problems on his PCs, how the 18 MP sensor was wasted unless he purchased expensive lenses. He returned it and said he couldn't be happier with the K-x he got instead. He took the money he saved and invested in a couple of lenses, a used 55-300mm DA L and a used Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. He's thrilled with his choices.

That pro who claimed the high ISO performance of the Pentax was crappy is a phony.
That's my biggest beef with the likes of the T1i & T2i, the cheap plastic feels like it will crack open like an egg-type body. I think the image quality is great, but the construction us just is not worth the price tag, to me. I like my big honkin' K20D, thank you very much! :-D
01-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Whatever. It's only money. NOTE: Many of those high-end Canikon FF's are used for sports or celeb shooting, and their output is printed in slick mags and pulp tabloids of lesser (not to say crappy) image quality. A 5mpx P&S would provide images that are just as suitable. Dig out that old bridge superzoom and you can be in National Geographic and Sports Illustrated (and Hustler) too, eh?
Rico I agree with pretty much everything except this last comment. Because they print to such poor stock (magazines and pulp) they need very sharp images and editors will not look at anything that is not sharp. it's easier for them to get the output they want from a good sharp image than a low res image so they will usually reject images not up to snuff unless they are unique and exclusive to them (ie topless reclusive starlet shot from a half mile with a ridiculous lens and cropped to hell)
01-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Drew shoots Pentax? Ah, yet one more reason I have to like this woman. I think she's a heck of a personality actually, quirky, intelligent, grounded, and very talented. I've always thought fairly well of her. It's silly but it makes me smile to know she likes my favorite camera brand. She's a perfect representative of the brand actually when you think about it.

As for the Nikon/Canon vs Pentax thing I really don't care what camera anyone shoots so long as it works for them. All this heated rivalry is stupid IMHO. Almost every DSLR on the market at this point is capable of taking some amazing pictures. In the end it all comes down to personal needs and preference and who really cares what the person next to you shoots so long as they are happy with their choice of gear?

All these people fighting over how superior their toys are really need to grow up. The way I figure it? This kind of thing is a major sign of personal insecurity and I don't care if you're talking about cameras, beer or cell phones. It's all the same thing, coming from the same place, all this quibbling over which thing is best.

I've never been much for keeping up with the Joneses, shrug. I use a cell phone that's just a cell phone, drink what I want, eat what I like, and proudly hoist a kit that has usually but not always has a Pentax camera in it.

I'm admittedly a total Pentax snob, but that fact certainly doesn't keep me from using my two Yashica SLR's on a regular basis. I love my Yashica gear actually. It's a major regret that the only way I can apparently ever use my C/Y lenses on my Pentax would be to destroy them for further use on my FRI/FX2. I'd sure love to be able to use my better quality C/Y glass on my *ist but I just like my FRI way too much to go there.

I actually didn't much like the Canon camera I owned even though it was supposedly a good one. I also don't much like the Canon DSLR my teacher has and it's about $1400 worth of supposedly great camera. His Nikon on the other hand I could live with though I still wouldn't take that Nikon over a K-x, K-r, K-5 or K-7 and I've told him as much. He laughs at that because he's a pro and a total Canikon person for the most part but even so he thinks my *ist is worthy of use and says he likes what he's seen of the other cameras I mentioned above. His wife actually is a Pentax fan and she's contemplating a K-x from what I understand so there's no brand war thing going on in that house.

Use what suits you, and forget what the peanut gallery thinks! That's my motto when it comes to acquiring almost anything. Yeah, I will check big ticket things out online to see what the specs are
and to make sure I'm not getting a total lemon, but in the end I'll always try to choose with some semblance of good sense and according to my personal preference. I'm the one who will have to live with my choice after all so that only makes sense buying what suits me.

When it comes to cameras, that's mostly Pentax. I may get the occasional sneer and/or amused look from someone with another kind of camera in their hand, but I don't really care. I know my camera is capable of making some very fine images and that's enough of a reason for me to tote it around.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
"at least Pentax doesn't use Ashton Kutcher to sell its cameras"

yeah,we got Drew Barrymore...not that i'm complaining or anything.

01-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
this is a loaded question isn't it?

no, it isn't fair. This "professional" photographer doesn't know what he is talking about. The primary cameras I use made from Leica,Canon and Nikon, alongside my pentax K10 and k7 I find that each camera has something unique to bring to my work.

However, I do see a difference in the rendering from different cameras and let me tell you when looking at the output from current Canon cameras something just doesn't look right. especially now that they are producing 21MPFF and overstuffed 18MP APS-C sensors I can see this overall plastic look that I personally do not like*. Hence, why I am sticking to my 1DsMK II series cameras and not buying new ones.

Incidentally Leica make the best lenses on the planet, not Canon.

*this is my opinion, not to be taken as gospel, however if one has eyes willing to see, they will notice the same thing that in print form the differences become apparent.
Having used an "Old School" Leica M-3, I have to agree with this. Leica has always produced the best lenses bar none! We used to shoot a lot of Kodachrome and you could see quite a visible difference between the Leica, Nikon, Canon, or any other mgr.
01-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
Having used an "Old School" Leica M-3, I have to agree with this. Leica has always produced the best lenses bar none! We used to shoot a lot of Kodachrome and you could see quite a visible difference between the Leica, Nikon, Canon, or any other mgr.
the lieca summilux asph 50 is widely considered the best lens ever built
it's market price reflects that though
wish i could afford to shoot leica i've used an m6 with the asph 50 and it was astounding, nothing like it really that i've ever had the pleasure of trying
there is a 50mm R lens that is supposedly better but coupling it to a bulky slr would take away from part of the joy of using the leica
I haven't followed the s2 lenses but i imagine they are pretty fine pieces of gear as well (and likely sharper than most medium format lenses if leica holds up to their normal standards)

As for the professional argument, I'll go with the qualification most photography associations and manufacturers look at. you must obtain more than 51% of your income from photography related endeavors. not all professionals will be artists just like not all doctors are good doctors, nor all engineers good engineers.
but to be truly successful they will have talent at a level that can not be taught. sadly some of us will never be more than journeyman at best
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Rico I agree with pretty much everything except this last comment. Because they print to such poor stock (magazines and pulp) they need very sharp images and editors will not look at anything that is not sharp. it's easier for them to get the output they want from a good sharp image than a low res image so they will usually reject images not up to snuff unless they are unique and exclusive to them (ie topless reclusive starlet shot from a half mile with a ridiculous lens and cropped to hell)
Resurrecting threads are we???
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Resurrecting threads are we???
inadvertantly , it is a good thread though, and it largely was active before i was on the forum so for me it's new