Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Go to the aviation group and check out the RIAT 2010 pics....

Last edited by opfor; 07-24-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo
07-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only fair critique of any brand is pretty much

"I don't like *brand* because I can't find an X lens in YYmm at a f of Z.Z"

Everything else is moot because the tech changes so quickly that there are really only two major factors - lens availability and photographer skill. I think in 99.9% cases, photographer skill is the determining factor.
07-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #33

Simply put, stay with what you have. I have been for nearly 20 years and was never dissapointed. I have a SuperP, a PZ 20 and now a K20D. The Oldest is still working like a charm. As long as I use Taks, picture quality within entire range is excellent.
07-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
Go to the aviation group and check out the RIAT 2010 pics....
Ok thanks for the heads up.

07-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #35

A fanboy opinion deserves a Pentax fanboy response. The usual tip off that there are canikons about are furious rattles of shutters banging away 20 or 30 shots at a go, followed by a chorus of grunts as they check to see if any of their shots are usable....
JMO

Sorry that the attached pics are a little out of focus, the wife was laughing a bit when she snapped them.

I chimp, you chimp, we chimp...
Hahaha
That made my night!
07-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is interesting what the opening post includes. First of all, pros seldom shoot a 50mm f1.8 wide open, just so that they can shoot at lower iso. Auto focus being what it is, you will likely misfocus. Pros keep their aperture at f4 or smaller, to try to maintain some depth of field. If that means shooting at higher iso, so be it.

I think the big things that Canon and Nikon have over Pentax currently are 1) Cheap primes -- 50mm f1.8 and for Nikon the 35mm f1.8 are nice and reasonably priced. 2) High end equipment. There is no place to go above a K7 currently other than a 645D. Moving up for Pentaxians, often means moving away from the brand. 3) Long lenses. If you want a 500mm lens or better, you will be buying from Sigma if you stick with Pentax, whereas with Nikon and Canon there are plenty of (very expensive) options.

That said, for most photographers, those are not currently and never will be serious issues. Unless you are planning in the future to shoot the super bowl for SI, Pentax likely will meet your needs both now and in the future.

There is no need to slam cameras/camer companies anyway. Most of the SLRs out there now are quite capable and if photos aren't turning out, it generally isn't the camera's fault.
07-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixley Quote
Hi all I am a newbie in the Dslr world and am very happy to own a new Kx that has already given me some great results. I happened to suggest to another newbie on another non photography site who was asking about entry level Dslrs in the sub $800 range that they might consider a Kx and got this response from a "professional" in response to my suggestion. Is this fair - I just told the original poster to go read the reviews but I can't respond in any detail (not that I am planning to)?

-----------

Just wondering what other Pentaxians with a lot more experience and knowledge would have said?

I'd have called him a "brainswashed lemming" and then posted a few photos taken with your pathetic Kx... Then challenge him to post photos shot with his $6000+ Canon that were 10 times better. But then again, he probably really shoots with a $600 plastic Rebel.

Thing is, I hear this kind of crap all the time from Canoniers, but rarely from Nikonites.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, Opfor... gotta love the guy in the purple jacket who doesn't know which side the tripod mount goes on that big ole lens... Middle guy too for that matter... Father and son maybe? LOL

Edit::: even the farthest guy... just harder to see... maybe it's a fashion statement like the backward hat...LOL

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-30-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: 3rd guy too
07-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

It is funny how many Canon users who slam other brands for not having really high end cameras shoot with Rebels.
Canon has managed to elevate itself to cult status.
07-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hold a Rebel, then Hold a KX or K200d. One feels like a plastic toy, the other like a camera.
08-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Btw, Opfor... gotta love the guy in the purple jacket who doesn't know which side the tripod mount goes on that big ole lens... Middle guy too for that matter... Father and son maybe? LOL

Edit::: even the farthest guy... just harder to see... maybe it's a fashion statement like the backward hat...LOL
I think they've done that so it's out of the way. What worries me more is that the middle guy clearly has his index finger inside the lens hood.
08-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Hold a Rebel, then Hold a KX or K200d. One feels like a plastic toy, the other like a camera.
I shopped for 2 years (off and on) for my first DSLR, deciding on the K-x a few weeks ago. One review at Amazon influenced me as much as any other. It was by a guy who bought a T2i, and wasn't happy with it. He complained about how plasticy and toy like it was, how he was stuck with Apple Quicktime for the video with it's inevitable problems on his PCs, how the 18 MP sensor was wasted unless he purchased expensive lenses. He returned it and said he couldn't be happier with the K-x he got instead. He took the money he saved and invested in a couple of lenses, a used 55-300mm DA L and a used Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. He's thrilled with his choices.

That pro who claimed the high ISO performance of the Pentax was crappy is a phony.
08-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #42
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote

That pro who claimed the high ISO performance of the Pentax was crappy is a phony.
Or just couldn't possibly comprehend that Pentax could do well at anything, as I have heard more than once before...
08-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixley Quote
It has nothing to do with whether she will want a FF camera or not.

It is to do with the quality of the image produced. Canon puts their effort into quality rather than features. Also Canon has far better noise handling, so the extra ISO range is counteracted by the fact that the noise makes it less usable. She would be better off just shooting wide open with the 50mm f1.8 so she can use a lower ISO.

If she wants a camera with HD recording and all the other bells and whistles, then she is better off getting a coolpix, or a G10 or whatever the upper end P&S's are at the moment.

There is also the quality of the lenses - you get much better image quality for your money with a Canon lens than you do with any other brand.

There is a reason that Canon and Nikon own nearly the entire market. They are better cameras. Pentax and similar only sell to people who want cheap features at the expense of quality of camera.
This is obviously posted by an ignoramus. Canon plough their money into features before quality for their non-professional gear (which is what we´re talking about here), which is why their lower DSLRs are built like children´s toys. I, like many others here, bought their Pentaxes for better quality, at the expense of some of the fancy features available on the competition.

The reason that Canon & Nikon own the market? Marketing.

Canon is the McDonalds of the photographic world.
08-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #44

Yet much of Canon/Nikon's mystique is that their cheap plastic consumer crap is somehow associated with high-end cams that cost more than autos or even houses. Yes, Canon/Nikon make superb gear. No, it doesn't always work right.** No, you can't afford it. No, what you CAN afford isn't much like that expensive stuff, it just has the same logos. Hey, it's a marketing scam! Bait and switch! Look at this 5D Mk II! Hey, take this Rebel instead! Feel the magic! Right.

OMG Rico you made me literally LOL. It's so true.
08-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #45

A fanboy opinion deserves a Pentax fanboy response. The usual tip off that there are canikons about are furious rattles of shutters banging away 20 or 30 shots at a go, followed by a chorus of grunts as they check to see if any of their shots are usable....
JMO

Sorry that the attached pics are a little out of focus, the wife was laughing a bit when she snapped them.

I chimp, you chimp, we chimp...

Bahahaha...there's something creepily phallic going on in that picture. lmao