Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

I want to be in focus using the Self Timer

Hi, I have a bit of an issue that I'm hoping someone could help me with.

When I use the self timer on my k-x I'm almost always out of focus. I have tried all the little tricks I could think of but when I scramble back to be in the shot, alas everything else around me is in focus and I am not. I also tried using my old wireless remote but that doesn't focus before taking the shot either. I have the switch set to AF on the body by the lens. Any assistance would be appreciated. I will try anything.

Jenn

07-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your camera is trying to do lower shutter speeds, the "out of focus"-ness could actually be due to subject movement.

If you are certain it's not movement on your part, try increasing your depth of field (by setting your aperture to higher number values). That way, more of the picture will be in focus.

I believe shake reduction is automatically disabled when using a timer, so that shouldn't be an issue. (you should always turn shake reduction off when using a tripod, or else the camera will try to compensate for shaking that isn't there, for some reason)
07-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ooo I never thought about incresing the field depth. I will give that a try. I know it's not movement because I freeze until I hear it snap.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely give those a try!!!
07-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OhSnap Quote
Ooo I never thought about incresing the field depth. I will give that a try. I know it's not movement because I freeze until I hear it snap.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely give those a try!!!
Are you using a wireless remote or the wired one?

I am not sure for the Kx but my K7 has an option to auto focus and then snap.

Plus yes, increasing the depth will help you out as well.

07-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't there a menu option somewhere on your camera to control when AF happens when using the timer - either when you press the shutter or when the picture is taken? Most other models have such an option. I'm betting the problem is that you have it set to AF immediately.
07-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #6

The menu option for AF is for remote control use, not self-timer by itself. The K-x manual pages 131 - 135 show this. When using the self-timer you have to press halway for focus then completely press the shutter release before the timer kicks in.
07-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're using a tripod, take the camera off the tripod, and stand or sit where you will be. Focus on the tripod, then put the camera in manual focus mode. Put the camera back on the tripod, set the self-timer, go to your mark, and you should be in focus. If not using a tripod, place an object where the camera will be placed and focus on that. You may still need to do a little fine tuning, but this should make it easier.

07-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
You could try manual focus as an quick and easy option.
07-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
You could try manual focus as an quick and easy option.
This is actually the best option I can agree with coupled with a deeper DOF.
Maybe while you run the AF is also trying to catch up with you or has locked focus somewhere else.
Manually focusing where you want the focus to be and where you would want to rush to in place would guarantee that you are in focus!
07-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rufus T. Firefly Quote
The menu option for AF is for remote control use, not self-timer by itself.
My mistake! In that case, I guess just be careful with where you focus and be sure to stand in that same spot.
07-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Just to add to what's been covered, use an aperture that will give you a lot of depth of field, like f/11.
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

otherwise...3rd party wireless remote trigger.
07-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

You have to use manual focus in this situation. Want me to lend you my dummy to lock your focus on?

Ironically, I'm going to have to do the same thing in a week or two for my website when I get my new body (camera body, not MY body), taking a picture of myself.

My wife tried shooting me yesterday with her point and shoot and the results were beyond horrible.

I plan to place my dummy on a stool on my patio, chalk out footprints in the right spot, set my manual focus, remove dummy and stool, shoot with self-timer and apertures of 5.6, 8 and 11, and run back to my footprints. (I'll later clip myself out of the background/wall in PS.)

I'll also try to teach my wife a little about my camera, focus confirmation at the least, and have her knock off some additional shots.
07-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
otherwise...3rd party wireless remote trigger.
The Pentax version works fine, too.