Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I also should clear up that I know 2.8 isn't the only identifier of a high quality lens, it just seems to be featured on most top of the line lenses so I was a bit disappointed that it was not on the new Sigma 10-20mm, but I can easily live with the older one
It's true that within the realm of "standard zooms", f/2.8 is pretty much what you want if you're looking for a significant step up from the kit lens - otherwise, it's not really any faster at all. But in the realm of ultrawide angle lenses, it's nowhere near so common to see an f/2.8 zoom, also and less necessary - by virtue of being ultra-wide, it's already doing something the kit lens can't. The further you get from the "standard" range in either direction, the less common and more expensive f/2.8 zooms become. These tend to be more specialty items for people with very specific needs.

And it looks from your sig like you've made a fine choice (or should I say, choices?)

07-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Check my signature!

Excellent choices. You'll love the 10-20. I remember when I first got my *istDL and asked the same question to some friends. The most respected photograper's response...."Go Wide Young Man". It was a good idea.

And I'm considering the 40 as my next lens. Enjoy your kit.
07-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Excellent choices. You'll love the 10-20. I remember when I first got my *istDL and asked the same question to some friends. The most respected photograper's response...."Go Wide Young Man". It was a good idea.

And I'm considering the 40 as my next lens. Enjoy your kit.
It seemed to make sense since I almost always use the kit lens, now I basically got both ends of it covered with high quality lenses, can't wait for them to come in the mail