Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Newbie Lens Question

Hi, I am in south Africa and we pay a premium of about 40% for photo equipment over the prices charged in the US. My brother in law a US citizen will be visiting in September and can bring me some stuff.
I currently have a kit lens with which I am not impressed sharpness wise. I also have a sigma 70-300 cheapie zoom - also nt great! I have bought locally some old manual M42 and k M lenses. 50 1.4 a lot better but manual.
I use a K20 and would like to invest in some lenses say about $2500-00.
My photography is general - family, friends, pets, architecture, wildlife. I would like to get more into portraiture. First question: Is it imperative to buy Pentax and pay it seems about 30% more over "equivalent" Sigma lenses.
Second question: Based on my general needs what range of lenses would you reccomend?
I would like to include in my budget a Sigma EF %#) DG S flash ($219-00 at B & H).

I would also like to get a big zoom for wildlife eg Sigma 150-500. I would also like to get a ultra wide lens for architectural photography (I am ageneral buildingcontractor by trade doing mainly multi storey (Not high rise) concrete frame buildings).
A sling back bag eg Lowepro 300 also takes my fancy.
I am also concerned about some of the nagativity expressed on other threads about the continued existance of Pentax as a brand. dont want to have lenses and no camera bodies to use them on.
Your suggestions please.

Thanks,

John K

07-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax system will never die, simply because every lens is compatible with almost every camera ever made- so that doubt is nothing more than a silly rumor.

I'd recommend the Pentax FA 50mm for you- it's cheap, fast, and versatile (and automatic)!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKSA Quote
I currently have a kit lens with which I am not impressed sharpness wise. I also have a sigma 70-300 cheapie zoom - also nt great! I have bought locally some old manual M42 and k M lenses. 50 1.4 a lot better but manual.
I use a K20 and would like to invest in some lenses say about $2500-00.
My photography is general - family, friends, pets, architecture, wildlife. I would like to get more into portraiture. First question: Is it imperative to buy Pentax and pay it seems about 30% more over "equivalent" Sigma lenses.
Second question: Based on my general needs what range of lenses would you reccomend?
I would like to include in my budget a Sigma EF %#) DG S flash ($219-00 at B & H).

I would also like to get a big zoom for wildlife eg Sigma 150-500. I would also like to get a ultra wide lens for architectural photography (I am ageneral buildingcontractor by trade doing mainly multi storey (Not high rise) concrete frame buildings).
A sling back bag eg Lowepro 300 also takes my fancy.
I am also concerned about some of the nagativity expressed on other threads about the continued existance of Pentax as a brand. dont want to have lenses and no camera bodies to use them on.
Your suggestions please.

Thanks,

John K
No, you do not need to buy Pentax brand.

I recently got the 150-500 and like it. It is not super heavy but it is fairly bulky.

The Pentax 12-24 is an excellent wide angle. Every millimeter matters at the shorter focal lengths, so this lens provides some flexibility.

Those 2 lenses will cost $1700 new.

For portraits, something in the 50-70mm range is good. Some people will use a f2.8 macro for this and have the benefit of close up capability.

A 17-70 is a good general purpose lens. The Sigma is popular, and Pentax makes one, too.
07-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you do architecture shooting, I would think you would have to get to 10mm, so the Sigma 10-20 or equivalent.

You'll wind up kissing those extra two mm's on the wide end.