Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
There are 2 types of 70-200mm L lens, one a f:4 and another one an f:2.8.
He has the f:4 version and I don't think that he is good at it.
I have no experience with the L lenses but I sure have experience from the kit non-IS Canon lenses and they suck!
In any case, I don't think he would want to use my Pentax since he is a die hard Canon user.
I even have a wedding photographer friend who also uses Canon and L lenses and I can't say much for that photos that I saw.
Then again, who am I to say that the "L" lenses can be beaten by my DA 50-200mm when I have no direct comparison except for the photos of 2 photogs that I know.
Sorry again if I grazed some Canon users, I am just talking from my experience and from what I see.
Come to think of it, I know of 3 people who use Canon including their "L" lenses..I guess I'm just the odd man out.
Considering pretty much ALL the sports photographers shooting the sidelines at NFL games "sporting" the big white lenses, and the photojournalists with the 24-70L and 16-35L, you're going to say "L lenses suck" because you know a few sucky photographers who shoot Canon??????????????

Anyways, as to the 70-200, there are actually FIVE variants. Take your pick - f/4 or f/2.8? IS or no IS? And if you choose f/2.8 and IS, you have the choice of the original f/2.8 IS or the MKII f/2.8 IS.

08-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Even today, Pentax produces the best lenses out there, albeit they are mostly the "limiteds" edition..though their kit lenses are very good too!

Yes, Pentax does have some VERY nice lenses. When I switched, I did miss the 50-135 and the 35/2.

But Canon has some very nice lenses too. As does Nikon.

the biggest differentiator is the photographer.

(wanted to end my rants on a positive note )
08-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I have a friend who owns a 40D..and his photos aren't really that good even with his 70-200L IS lens!
My DA 50-200mm kit lens beats his "L" lens anytime!
Cost of his "L" lens, maybe around $400 or more.
Cost of DA 50-200mm kit lens, maybe around $130.
And then....
QuoteQuote:
I have no experience with the L lenses but I sure have experience from the kit non-IS Canon lenses and they suck!
And finally
QuoteQuote:
who am I to say that the "L" lenses can be beaten by my DA 50-200mm when I have no direct comparison
Think I'll head back to http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php
08-03-2010, 03:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Photography-on-the.net is kinda sucky from my experience. The layout is shite.

08-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Photography-on-the.net is kinda sucky from my experience. The layout is shite.
I have no problems over there, layout or content-wise. I can even browse it from my Droid

This site is fine too! I like to keep up with what Pentax is up to, since it will always be my first jump into DSLRs. I think if I stuck with Pentax, I would have been happy with the K-7 and K-x, seems like Pentax is continuing to come out with nice bodies.
08-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Considering pretty much ALL the sports photographers shooting the sidelines at NFL games "sporting" the big white lenses, and the photojournalists with the 24-70L and 16-35L, you're going to say "L lenses suck" because you know a few sucky photographers who shoot Canon??????????????

Anyways, as to the 70-200, there are actually FIVE variants. Take your pick - f/4 or f/2.8? IS or no IS? And if you choose f/2.8 and IS, you have the choice of the original f/2.8 IS or the MKII f/2.8 IS.
Ooppsss..sorry! I grazed another one!
I'm a sucky photographer too but Pentax just makes my shots good!
08-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

And then....

And finally

Think I'll head back to Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Those Canon users are all so touchy..
That's why I shoot Pentax...I can take criticism..and they can't.
..and that is why I love this forum too!

..hey, if I bought expensive lenses and bodies too I would want to find reason to defend it and say I shoot gooood.. =)
08-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon Guy

Those Canon users are all so touchy..

Looks like this guy had a Canon:

Maybe next time he should get a weatherproof K-7 or a K20D with DA* lenses.

08-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #39

Ouch. There's goes 2+ grand of equipment. :O
08-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
Ouch. There's goes 2+ grand of equipment. :O
At least! I was thinking more like 3 to 4 grand with those two cameras. I think it is possible a K-7 or a K20D with DA* lenses could have survived that. I have had rain on my K-7 before and it is fine. I don't think Pentax flashes are weatherproof. At least mine isn't.

I blew the circuitry of an old Nikon 6006 some 15 years ago when some salt water spashed on it.
08-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
At least! I was thinking more like 3 to 4 grand with those two cameras. I think it is possible a K-7 or a K20D with DA* lenses could have survived that. I have had rain on my K-7 before and it is fine. I don't think Pentax flashes are weatherproof. At least mine isn't.

I blew the circuitry of an old Nikon 6006 some 15 years ago when some salt water spashed on it.

Hahaha. Weatherproof flash. Mmm. If that photographer had two 5D Mark II's, oh boy.