Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-X vs Canon 40d

First off I would like to let everyon know I am completly new to the SLR world and would ask for forgiveness with my questions.

So I have been thinking about getting a SLR for a while and recently started looking seriously again. I have a buddy that loves everything Canon and highly suggests a 40d over any other camera in its price range. However the 40d new is a lot more then I would like to pay. So basically is a used 40d worth getting over a new K-X? On paper there are things that the K-X is better and some the 40d is better.

Where is the best place to purchase a K-X or other cameras in general?

Thanks

07-27-2010, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I also wondered if a used semi pro Canon would be better than the K-x. There are many things to consider, but overall I decided to stick with my K-x rather than bother moving.

Pros with the K-x
-High ISO performance
-Movie capability
-Very cheap legacy MF lenses

Pros with the 40D and like
-Better build quality
-Ergonomics (more buttons, ability to add grip)
-AF performance (actually, I don't know if this is better by much)
-Cheap line up of AF primes

For me, price was everything. I was able to pick up a MF 50mm f/2 and an 80-200 zoom for the K-x for under $50 USD. Along with the kit lens, I've got 18-200 pretty much covered along with some speed at the 50mm. Try doing that with a Canon system.

Really though, it's up to you and what you want to go for. If buying new, consider B&H, Adorama, or Amazon. For used, go with Keh or if you must, eBay. Or our marketplace here!
07-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Does your buddy have a lot of nice lenses? Would he lend them to you? If the answer is yes to both then it makes sense for you to buy Canon too.
07-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks wshi...I am leaning toward the K-X just dont really know for sure thus is why I am relying on you guys to push me one way or another

Twitch, I think he has a bit but might be moving. We dont really see each other much besides the internet so I dont think that would be a factor

07-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 40D is a very nice camera and little bad can probably be said about it. Comparing it to the Kx isn't really a fair fight as the 2 cameras, although both SLR's, are designed and marketed for a different group. The Kx is aimed at the "first SLR" market and has many features that you may find very handy and helpful. It has had very good reviews, winning the TIPA award for best entry level camera. Check out the August issue of Shutterbug for that article. It's also priced very well. You also seem hesitant to plunk down the cash on a 40D. You are also considering a used camera vs. a new one with a warranty if you want to stay within the KX price range. Rather then push you one way or the other think of it in this analogy, new Chevy or used Buick?

As fo purchasing a camera, I am partial to camera stores. I like to know what I'm buying, hold it in my hand, shoot a few frames,etc. Buying from a shop has the added benefit of customer service and support. That may be difficult as more and more stores are closing up. I currently would have to drive 50 miles to find a store and they wouldn't likely have a KX. Amazon recently had a very good deal on the KX.
07-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply reeftool. I do understand compairing the two is like apple to oranges...however Im looking for an idea of what others with better knowledge then myself would do if they were to either buy a new K-X or a used 40d.

Im kind of the type of person that likes to buy new so that is why I am leaning toward the K-X. I can get a new k-x for mid 400 and a used 40d equiped with simlar lens (5000-10000 shutters) for anywhere between mid 500 and up.

As a newbie would I be over my head with a 40d?
After my feet are wet for a while will I be searching for more features from the K-X?
07-28-2010, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by 171farm Quote
Thanks for the reply reeftool. I do understand compairing the two is like apple to oranges...however Im looking for an idea of what others with better knowledge then myself would do if they were to either buy a new K-X or a used 40d.

Im kind of the type of person that likes to buy new so that is why I am leaning toward the K-X. I can get a new k-x for mid 400 and a used 40d equiped with simlar lens (5000-10000 shutters) for anywhere between mid 500 and up.

As a newbie would I be over my head with a 40d?
After my feet are wet for a while will I be searching for more features from the K-X?

You won't necessarily be over your head with the 40D if you never touch the features that it has. But as you grow with your camera, whatever it might be, you might be looking for more features.

The k-x is a high end entry level dslr, imo. So being entry level, you probably will need to upgrade to a prosumer, professional camera down the road.

07-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You won't like the performance of 40D specially if you are new to DSLR.
I have gone from SLR to bridge camera to DSLR and I can tell you about my experience.
I have been able to use a Canon S3 IS bridge camera and what drew me to it was the swivel screen.
Coming from an SLR, I pretty knew much what I was doing and after going to Canon P&S bridge camera I was ready for my first DSLR.
I've done a lot of research and finally found my way to Pentax.
Finally bought a new K100D super last year or so and am still happy about it.
It just had too many keeper shots for me with the built in SR (shake reduction).
My brother knew I was into cameras so he gave me a Canon Rebel XT.
I tried that out a bit to compare to the Pentax but the keepers that I get from it are not just that many or good!
Eventually I planned to give that to my wife but a situation presented itself that a Canon 30D was being sold at almost the same price which I was willing to let go of the Rebel XT so that I can try the 30D out.
Guess what? Same crappy photos from crappy lenses that Canon bundles together with their cameras.
Canon has so many cheap crappy lenses that you are lured to buy them.
The best lenses they got would cost you a fortune though and most of the available ones cheap at the ones without IS (image stabilization).
The 40D has very minimal advances over the 30D and I can say for sure that I don't like the 30D.
I have a friend who owns a 40D..and his photos aren't really that good even with his 70-200L IS lens!
My DA 50-200mm kit lens beats his "L" lens anytime!
Cost of his "L" lens, maybe around $400 or more.
Cost of DA 50-200mm kit lens, maybe around $130.
A lot of the shots has to do with high ISO capability and SR since if the light is just too low and you have to shoot at very low shutter speeds, then SR and the cameras high ISO capabilities go into play..and you can't beat that combo!
I own a K100D super and the K-x is so much more than than with it's really celebrated high ISO capabilties!
It has video, plus if you get the kit with the DA 55-300mm, then that lens is a lot-lot worth it!
Buy a K-x and see how your friends photos suck, and who knows when he sees your photos, you might be able to change his love for his beloved brand.
..also with a Pentax, any lens you mount becomes IS (image stabilized for Canon) since the SR is on the body and not on the lens which you have to pay for every time you buy an IS lens.
07-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies guys and keep them coming. The more I read things and look at things I am liking the K-X all that much more. I really think Im going to go for it. Not sure which kit Im going to get yet. I still have a few weeks until I pull the trigger so still have lots of time to stew and read and find stuff out
07-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
literally depends...do you need the 40D`s

1) 6.5fps
2) access to the almost infinite number of for-Canon accessories
3) 75 jpeg buffer
4) using Compactflash (my preference.)

and so on.
07-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You wouldn't be posting on this forum if you hadn't already made up your mind.
07-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't think you would be over your head with the 40D. I haven't used one but a friend has an earlier model. It has a fully auto mode, like every other DSLR BTW, where you could essentially use it as a point and shoot and get good results as you learn. I can understand how you can go round and round making a decision. I did the same thing prior to my purchase of the K10D three years ago. What ultimately made me pull the trigger and buy the camera was actually holding it in my hands in the camera store. While there were Canon's and Nikon's everywhere, it wasn't easy to find a Pentax. I already owned a Pentax film SLR and lenses and had good results for many years with it. I also owned a Nikon film SLR and while the IQ of the shots and the sharpness of the lenses were outstanding, I spent more money repairing the camera than I paid for it. I loved the K10D the minute I held it in my hands and bought it on the spot. I doubt that I will ever buy a camera without handling it first. I have seen and handled a KX and while smaller, it is a nice camera. The high ISO/low light capability has me considering a purchase of one myself as a second body.
07-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Buying from a shop has the added benefit of customer service and support. That may be difficult as more and more stores are closing up. I currently would have to drive 50 miles to find a store and they wouldn't likely have a KX. Amazon recently had a very good deal on the KX.
I posted a thread at Anandtech Forums a few weeks ago titled "Help me pick first DSLR":

Help me pick first DSLR - AnandTech Forums

I explained in the first post that I favored the K-x but had been researching for over 2 years and didn't feel confident in my understanding of all the issues. Lots of very knowledgeable people post in that forum and I got many replies and ensuing discussion. More than one poster suggested a used 40D. I found one or two on Craigslist, but like you it looked to me like an expensive way to go.

I was unable to find a K-x in my vicinity.

I finally did order my K-x (sight unseen) and the funny thing was this: I saw the two lens kit (with the 55-300mm preferred zoom) selling on Amazon for $850 and checked back a few days before I made my decision and saw it selling for $699.99. That's some price drop! I put it in my cart, but hadn't commited to it. This was Sunday July 18, and I was on the cusp of committing my order. When I came back about 6 hours later the price had jumped $20. I thought it over and realized that it was the best price on what I wanted and bought it anyway. It remained that price for well over a week, but looking yesterday I saw that package up to $850 again at Amazon. My impression here is that the price jumps around! Anyway, I have my K-x now, and am just beginning to get into it.

I had seen the package at CameraKings for $700, but the fine print indicated it was an "import" and wouldn't have Pentax's warranty, only the vendor's and I didn't like that. After ordering, I saw it at eBay for $700, which might be a good deal, assuming it would have Pentax's warranty. However, I'd surely ask the seller first.

Last edited by Muse; 07-29-2010 at 08:32 AM.
07-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 171farm Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys and keep them coming. The more I read things and look at things I am liking the K-X all that much more. I really think Im going to go for it. Not sure which kit Im going to get yet. I still have a few weeks until I pull the trigger so still have lots of time to stew and read and find stuff out
There is one lens that seems to be sharp if you buy the "K-X kit" and that is the 55-300mm zoom. The reason why I say this is because I still have a similar lens from another major brand and it is soft at 300mm. I know this from cropping my photos from it.

Go online and read the reviews on the Nikon and Canon versions of this lens, you will see a few people confirming what I am stating here.

I have looked at new photos in the www.pentaxphotogallery.com and the 55-300 zoom seems to be sharp lens at 300mm.
07-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
There is one lens that seems to be sharp if you buy the "K-X kit" and that is the 55-300mm zoom. The reason why I say this is because I still have a similar lens from another major brand and it is soft at 300mm. I know this from cropping my photos from it.

Go online and read the reviews on the Nikon and Canon versions of this lens, you will see a few people confirming what I am stating here.

I have looked at new photos in the www.pentaxphotogallery.com and the 55-300 zoom seems to be sharp lens at 300mm.
Everybody says this is an exceptionally good zoom for a kit lens and that's the reason I went with that kit. It costs more. So, if the OP decides on that kit and as stated is planning to wait a couple of weeks before pulling the trigger, best thing to do is watch the prices and when it comes down close to $700 from a reputable source, pounce.