Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is this the kit you all are speaking of

Kx 12.4 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera w/18-55 & 55-300 Lens Kit (Black) K-x at Central Digital

07-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

..another thing that has never been mentioned between the difference among the K-x and the 40D is that with the K-x you get "live view", which means you can shoot with the K-x above your head or below next to the ground without needing an angle finder since you can compose your shots without looking into the viewfinder since you can view everything on the LCD screen!
I swivel screen would have been great but "live view" also works fine!
07-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 171farm Quote
Yes!..as long as it has a DA L 55-300mm because the other kit would be a DA 50-200mm..although the 50-200mm is no slouch either as I have already mentioned as that lens is also sharp!
It is better though to get the 55-300mm since you would have more reach and that lens have good reviews.
I'm sure you could easily convert you friend after you show him your photos! LOL!
07-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
..another thing that has never been mentioned between the difference among the K-x and the 40D is that with the K-x you get "live view", which means you can shoot with the K-x above your head or below next to the ground without needing an angle finder since you can compose your shots without looking into the viewfinder since you can view everything on the LCD screen!
To be fair, I believe the 40D also has live view, although I suspect that with the K-x being newer, it will have better live view capabilities. Also, you seemed kind of quick to dismiss your friend's Canon and 70-200 f/4. I've long heard that lens to be one of the greatest of all Canon lenses, but rarely do I hear sparkling praise for the DA 50-200. Perhaps you are just a much better photographer than your friend?

My point is basically that with any system you buy into, you're going to learn a ton about photography as long as you put the time into it. Once you buy your first camera, the lens buying addiction sets in and you find yourself craving the "latest and greatest." Try not to fall into that trap, and focus on taking pictures. You'll be happy with pretty much any camera you've got.

Good luck on your photographic journey!

07-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 171farm Quote
That is the kit, and if it's a legitimate source, it's by far the best price I've seen. Wow! How did you find that deal? That would have saved me 50 bucks!
07-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
That is the kit, and if it's a legitimate source, it's by far the best price I've seen. Wow! How did you find that deal? That would have saved me 50 bucks!
That's an import model, bought from outlets other than Pentax to save money. No manufacturer warranty and I would trust the Central Digital warranty about as far as I could throw it
07-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have a friend who owns a 40D..and his photos aren't really that good even with his 70-200L IS lens!
My DA 50-200mm kit lens beats his "L" lens anytime!
What does this even mean?

Let's be honest, your friend isn't the best photographer is he. Otherwise you wouldn't be saying your kit lens can beat his L series lens. Maybe you should swap cameras and see what he can do with the kit lens.

07-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
What does this even mean?

Let's be honest, your friend isn't the best photographer is he. Otherwise you wouldn't be saying your kit lens can beat his L series lens. Maybe you should swap cameras and see what he can do with the kit lens.
There are 2 types of 70-200mm L lens, one a f:4 and another one an f:2.8.
He has the f:4 version and I don't think that he is good at it.
I have no experience with the L lenses but I sure have experience from the kit non-IS Canon lenses and they suck!
In any case, I don't think he would want to use my Pentax since he is a die hard Canon user.
I even have a wedding photographer friend who also uses Canon and L lenses and I can't say much for that photos that I saw.
Then again, who am I to say that the "L" lenses can be beaten by my DA 50-200mm when I have no direct comparison except for the photos of 2 photogs that I know.
Sorry again if I grazed some Canon users, I am just talking from my experience and from what I see.
Come to think of it, I know of 3 people who use Canon including their "L" lenses..I guess I'm just the odd man out.
07-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
To be fair, I believe the 40D also has live view, although I suspect that with the K-x being newer, it will have better live view capabilities. Also, you seemed kind of quick to dismiss your friend's Canon and 70-200 f/4. I've long heard that lens to be one of the greatest of all Canon lenses, but rarely do I hear sparkling praise for the DA 50-200. Perhaps you are just a much better photographer than your friend?
Maybe there are just less Pentax users to give praise to the lenses they use.
Heck..not a lot of people even know about Pentax!
07-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe there are just less Pentax users to give praise to the lenses they use.
Heck..not a lot of people even know about Pentax!
Looking things up at Wikipedia I'm surprised to see that evidently Canon does precede Pentax. It says Canon introduced SLR's in 1933. Asahi-Pentax introduced 3mm cameras in 1952. My own feeling was that Pentax was first, but evidently that's wrong. However, Pentax was a major player in the 35mm SLR scene, and they made very fine cameras indeed in the 1960's. Very good glass, too. Nikon and Leika were the choice of professionals but the consumer could get very competitive cameras from Pentax and not pay the premium those other brands demanded.
07-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
the 40D is an old camera.

stick to the latest entry level models. Canon 550D, Nikon D5000, Pentax K-x.

by the time you get obsessed, newer "pro" models should be available to upgrade to. (perhaps 5D MkIII?!)
07-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
Canon 550D, Nikon D5000, Pentax K-x
For me, I find all these cameras too small for my hand. I'm not doubting what they are capable of photography wise but they are way too plasticky for me to ever consider purchasing.

171farm, Go and hold some cameras. See which fits your hand best.
08-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
Looking things up at Wikipedia I'm surprised to see that evidently Canon does precede Pentax. It says Canon introduced SLR's in 1933. Asahi-Pentax introduced 3mm cameras in 1952. My own feeling was that Pentax was first, but evidently that's wrong. However, Pentax was a major player in the 35mm SLR scene, and they made very fine cameras indeed in the 1960's. Very good glass, too. Nikon and Leika were the choice of professionals but the consumer could get very competitive cameras from Pentax and not pay the premium those other brands demanded.
Even today, Pentax produces the best lenses out there, albeit they are mostly the "limiteds" edition..though their kit lenses are very good too!
08-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #29
Inactive Account

You won't like the performance of 40D specially if you are new to DSLR.
ok....
QuoteQuote:
I have a friend who owns a 40D..and his photos aren't really that good even with his 70-200L IS lens!
My DA 50-200mm kit lens beats his "L" lens anytime!
Cost of his "L" lens, maybe around $400 or more.
Cost of DA 50-200mm kit lens, maybe around $130.

Your friend must not be a very good photographer if he can't get a good shot with a 70-200L IS and a 40D. The cheapest 70-200 with IS is the f/4 IS and it goes for around $1200. It is possibly the sharpest zoom available by any manufacturer.

To say a DA 50-200 kit lens beats a 70-200mm f/4 IS L is laughable.

Sure, you pay for having IS in each lens, but you get amazing image quality.

And I'm sure a great photographer could get shots with a K-X and a 50-200 as well.
08-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #30
Inactive Account

The 40D has LiveView.

For someone who has admittedly never used a 40D, you sure have a strong (negative) opinion of it.

For full disclosure, I started with a *ist DS, upgraded to a K10D, had the 540FGZ, DA* 50-135, FA 50/1.4, FA 35/2, Sigma 10-20mm, and some manual focus primes before switching to Canon.

I currently shoot with a 40D and Xsi, along with a 24-70L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, 85 f/1.8, and Sigma's 30mm f/1.4 and 10-20mm. Oh, and the 580EXII and 430EXII. And a bunch of bags.