Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

Pentax K-x Users. Advice needed. Ta

Hi people

Well, i have handled the K-x in my local camera store and i can buy one for approx £379 here in the UK.

Can you persuade me to buy one? Have you fallen in love with your K-x? Does it live up to its expectations?

What about image quality, you happy with them?

Finally, battery problems solved as far as the issues some time ago and, what about the AF points not lighting up. Is it really a concern? Does it really matter to you?

Thanks people as i am just looking for a tiny bit of a push to order one!

07-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too much written here to repeat it.

For me, the fact that I can use old Super Takumars (M42 screw mount even!) makes it way over the top worth it.

Incredible camera for the money.
07-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Koolpc Quote
what about the AF points not lighting up. Is it really a concern?
If you've read about this issue, then presumably you've read the *hundreds* of existing posts on the subject. A small number of people find it a big deal - the small minority who know all about the different ways of focusing and long ago have decided that using dots in the viewfinder is the only way they can possibly be satisfied. Most people are not already married to that method and find it no big deal at all.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-28-2010 at 11:25 AM.
07-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Koolpc Quote
Hi people

Well, i have handled the K-x in my local camera store and i can buy one for approx £379 here in the UK.

Can you persuade me to buy one? Have you fallen in love with your K-x? Does it live up to its expectations?

What about image quality, you happy with them?

Finally, battery problems solved as far as the issues some time ago and, what about the AF points not lighting up. Is it really a concern? Does it really matter to you?

Thanks people as i am just looking for a tiny bit of a push to order one!
My Kx is the first DLSR I have ever owned and I think it is the best entry level camera on the market. I looked at (in stores and on-line) the Nikon D3000, D5000, Canon T1i, Rebel XS something.

The T1i was the only camera I thought was "better" (better being my subjectve opinion) than the Kx but for the ~$300-$350 you save buying the Kx, it was not a hard choice for me.

The Kx is very easy to use, has amazing low light capabilities, HD movie, very good IQ (but that is mostly dependent on the lens), and is cheaper than most entry level cameras.

You will absolutely not regret buying a Kx.

07-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
There are a few things about the k-x that make me want to commit violence upon the Pentax team. Particularly frustrating is that the first two have at past points been published specifications by Pentax despite not actually appearing on the camera.

1. No lens-specific AF correction

2. No Interval shooting settings

3. No exposure bracketing possible with remote release or mirror lockup

4. No AF indicator on screen

5. No way to turn off DFS over 30s exposure

6. No exposure control in video mode

7. No tethering

8. No vertical grip

9. Live-view quality not good enough for precision focusing

10. Tiny dark viewfinder

It's a bitch that Pentax could have included 1 through 6 at no extra cost, but didn't. Clearly they were developing 1 and 2.

They could have added the features in a firmware upgrade but didn't.

7 and 8 would have been nice, but supposedly they do actually require extra parts. I would have paid for them.

9 and 10 add significant cost, but added to the prior elements on the list, would make the K-x a perfect camera worthy of $200-300 more on the pricetag. Clearly that didn't fit Pentax's marketing plan, and I don't fault them for that. Throw in weather sealing and they'd never sell another K-7.

I have zero loyalty to Pentax as a company, because it's clear customer satisfaction is not their priority. (re: firmware, sdm response)

But despite this and the list above, I still have a K-x.

If it weren't such a great camera in all other respects, the "missing" features wouldn't be a frustration.

Last edited by kxr4trids; 07-28-2010 at 01:12 PM.
07-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Up until yesterday I had a Kx and a K7, I had to sell the Kx to fund a lens. The only reasons why I still have a K7 is the weather sealing and the higher quality video. The weather sealing already paid for itself (I'd be out a Kx if I had dropped it in the snow instead of the K7).

If it weren't for the weather sealing I'd just have a Kx, it's a great camera, missing a lot of bells and whistles, but just in terms of image quality and bang for bucks its the best there is, even shining out the T2i in some DPreview tests.
07-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok guys, thanks for your quick replies. Still thinking about getting one!

07-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
There are a few things about the k-x that make me want to commit violence upon the Pentax team. Particularly frustrating is that the first two have at past points been published specifications by Pentax despite not actually appearing on the camera.

1. No lens-specific AF correction

2. No Interval shooting settings

3. No exposure bracketing possible with remote release or mirror lockup

4. No AF indicator on screen

5. No way to turn off DFS over 30s exposure

6. No exposure control in video mode

7. No tethering

8. No vertical grip

9. Live-view quality not good enough for precision focusing

10. Tiny dark viewfinder

It's a bitch that Pentax could have included 1 through 6 at no extra cost, but didn't. Clearly they were developing 1 and 2.

They could have added the features in a firmware upgrade but didn't.

7 and 8 would have been nice, but supposedly they do actually require extra parts. I would have paid for them.

9 and 10 add significant cost, but added to the prior elements on the list, would make the K-x a perfect camera worthy of $200-300 more on the pricetag. Clearly that didn't fit Pentax's marketing plan, and I don't fault them for that. Throw in weather sealing and they'd never sell another K-7.

I have zero loyalty to Pentax as a company, because it's clear customer satisfaction is not their priority. (re: firmware, sdm response)

But despite this and the list above, I still have a K-x.

If it weren't such a great camera in all other respects, the "missing" features wouldn't be a frustration.
That speaks volumes. Despite the list of negatives, which are valid negatives and most I agree with, you still bought a Kx. That shows how good a camera the Kx really is.
07-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Koolpc, are you from Steve's forums? Your name and pic seem familiar. Anyway, I just bought a k-x myself and was worried about the AF points, but it has turned out to be a non-issue for me so far. I'm loving the camera and am looking forward to buying bigger lens as I only have the 18-55 kit lens. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
07-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've had my K-X a couple of months now. My first adventure into DSLR, but not my first with Pentax. I used to use a K-1000 SLR. I love the K-X. The manual is kind of overwhelming in size at first, but user very user friendly. I also like the fact it uses re-chargeable AA batteries.
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
It's a bitch that Pentax could have included 1 through 6 at no extra cost, but didn't.
Some of them might have been possible since they are just a matter of programming that was already performed for other cameras, but not all. #4 definitely requires hardware support (meaning it's not free), and I wouldn't be surprised if #1 or #6 don't too. The others do indeed seem to be deliberate omissions for marketing reasons. But that's exactly the same sort of thing every single manufacturer of electronic gadgets has done for decades - it's hardly a knock on Pentax in particular.

QuoteQuote:
9 and 10 add significant cost, but added to the prior elements on the list, would make the K-x a perfect camera worthy of $200-300 more on the pricetag.
That would make it a different price class entirely though - no longer competing extremely well at the low end, but a mid range camera. And with regard to #10, you overstate the case by quite a lot - it's still better than most of the competition over the years.
07-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As I see it, entry level cameras are always going to lack some of the features the pro cameras have. It's not a reason to be mad at the entry level camera design. I think the Pentax K-x is missing less features than other brands entry level bodies.
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
K-x has a massive amount of features from what i can see. Deciding to buy one is the hardest thing!!
07-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #14

I say the only frustrating thing about the k-x is the lack of HDMI. I mean, it couldnt have been so hard to include HDMI..
07-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

PUSHHHHHH!!!
..and that's a big one!