Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
New Member
Koolpc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 7
Pentax K-x Users. Advice needed. Ta

Hi people

Well, i have handled the K-x in my local camera store and i can buy one for approx 379 here in the UK.

Can you persuade me to buy one? Have you fallen in love with your K-x? Does it live up to its expectations?

What about image quality, you happy with them?

Finally, battery problems solved as far as the issues some time ago and, what about the AF points not lighting up. Is it really a concern? Does it really matter to you?

Thanks people as i am just looking for a tiny bit of a push to order one!

07-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
Too much written here to repeat it.

For me, the fact that I can use old Super Takumars (M42 screw mount even!) makes it way over the top worth it.

Incredible camera for the money.
07-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by Koolpc Quote
what about the AF points not lighting up. Is it really a concern?
If you've read about this issue, then presumably you've read the *hundreds* of existing posts on the subject. A small number of people find it a big deal - the small minority who know all about the different ways of focusing and long ago have decided that using dots in the viewfinder is the only way they can possibly be satisfied. Most people are not already married to that method and find it no big deal at all.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-28-2010 at 11:25 AM.
07-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by Koolpc Quote
Hi people

Well, i have handled the K-x in my local camera store and i can buy one for approx 379 here in the UK.

Can you persuade me to buy one? Have you fallen in love with your K-x? Does it live up to its expectations?

What about image quality, you happy with them?

Finally, battery problems solved as far as the issues some time ago and, what about the AF points not lighting up. Is it really a concern? Does it really matter to you?

Thanks people as i am just looking for a tiny bit of a push to order one!
My Kx is the first DLSR I have ever owned and I think it is the best entry level camera on the market. I looked at (in stores and on-line) the Nikon D3000, D5000, Canon T1i, Rebel XS something.

The T1i was the only camera I thought was "better" (better being my subjectve opinion) than the Kx but for the ~$300-$350 you save buying the Kx, it was not a hard choice for me.

The Kx is very easy to use, has amazing low light capabilities, HD movie, very good IQ (but that is mostly dependent on the lens), and is cheaper than most entry level cameras.

You will absolutely not regret buying a Kx.

07-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 227
There are a few things about the k-x that make me want to commit violence upon the Pentax team. Particularly frustrating is that the first two have at past points been published specifications by Pentax despite not actually appearing on the camera.

1. No lens-specific AF correction

2. No Interval shooting settings

3. No exposure bracketing possible with remote release or mirror lockup

4. No AF indicator on screen

5. No way to turn off DFS over 30s exposure

6. No exposure control in video mode

7. No tethering

8. No vertical grip

9. Live-view quality not good enough for precision focusing

10. Tiny dark viewfinder

It's a bitch that Pentax could have included 1 through 6 at no extra cost, but didn't. Clearly they were developing 1 and 2.

They could have added the features in a firmware upgrade but didn't.

7 and 8 would have been nice, but supposedly they do actually require extra parts. I would have paid for them.

9 and 10 add significant cost, but added to the prior elements on the list, would make the K-x a perfect camera worthy of $200-300 more on the pricetag. Clearly that didn't fit Pentax's marketing plan, and I don't fault them for that. Throw in weather sealing and they'd never sell another K-7.

I have zero loyalty to Pentax as a company, because it's clear customer satisfaction is not their priority. (re: firmware, sdm response)

But despite this and the list above, I still have a K-x.

If it weren't such a great camera in all other respects, the "missing" features wouldn't be a frustration.

Last edited by kxr4trids; 07-28-2010 at 01:12 PM.
07-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member
future_retro's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 572
Up until yesterday I had a Kx and a K7, I had to sell the Kx to fund a lens. The only reasons why I still have a K7 is the weather sealing and the higher quality video. The weather sealing already paid for itself (I'd be out a Kx if I had dropped it in the snow instead of the K7).

If it weren't for the weather sealing I'd just have a Kx, it's a great camera, missing a lot of bells and whistles, but just in terms of image quality and bang for bucks its the best there is, even shining out the T2i in some DPreview tests.
07-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
New Member
Koolpc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 7
Original Poster
Ok guys, thanks for your quick replies. Still thinking about getting one!
07-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
There are a few things about the k-x that make me want to commit violence upon the Pentax team. Particularly frustrating is that the first two have at past points been published specifications by Pentax despite not actually appearing on the camera.

1. No lens-specific AF correction

2. No Interval shooting settings

3. No exposure bracketing possible with remote release or mirror lockup

4. No AF indicator on screen

5. No way to turn off DFS over 30s exposure

6. No exposure control in video mode

7. No tethering

8. No vertical grip

9. Live-view quality not good enough for precision focusing

10. Tiny dark viewfinder

It's a bitch that Pentax could have included 1 through 6 at no extra cost, but didn't. Clearly they were developing 1 and 2.

They could have added the features in a firmware upgrade but didn't.

7 and 8 would have been nice, but supposedly they do actually require extra parts. I would have paid for them.

9 and 10 add significant cost, but added to the prior elements on the list, would make the K-x a perfect camera worthy of $200-300 more on the pricetag. Clearly that didn't fit Pentax's marketing plan, and I don't fault them for that. Throw in weather sealing and they'd never sell another K-7.

I have zero loyalty to Pentax as a company, because it's clear customer satisfaction is not their priority. (re: firmware, sdm response)

But despite this and the list above, I still have a K-x.

If it weren't such a great camera in all other respects, the "missing" features wouldn't be a frustration.
That speaks volumes. Despite the list of negatives, which are valid negatives and most I agree with, you still bought a Kx. That shows how good a camera the Kx really is.

07-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member
NicoleAu's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 539
Hi Koolpc, are you from Steve's forums? Your name and pic seem familiar. Anyway, I just bought a k-x myself and was worried about the AF points, but it has turned out to be a non-issue for me so far. I'm loving the camera and am looking forward to buying bigger lens as I only have the 18-55 kit lens. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
07-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member
subeeds's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Camden County, Ga.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 333
I've had my K-X a couple of months now. My first adventure into DSLR, but not my first with Pentax. I used to use a K-1000 SLR. I love the K-X. The manual is kind of overwhelming in size at first, but user very user friendly. I also like the fact it uses re-chargeable AA batteries.
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
It's a bitch that Pentax could have included 1 through 6 at no extra cost, but didn't.
Some of them might have been possible since they are just a matter of programming that was already performed for other cameras, but not all. #4 definitely requires hardware support (meaning it's not free), and I wouldn't be surprised if #1 or #6 don't too. The others do indeed seem to be deliberate omissions for marketing reasons. But that's exactly the same sort of thing every single manufacturer of electronic gadgets has done for decades - it's hardly a knock on Pentax in particular.

QuoteQuote:
9 and 10 add significant cost, but added to the prior elements on the list, would make the K-x a perfect camera worthy of $200-300 more on the pricetag.
That would make it a different price class entirely though - no longer competing extremely well at the low end, but a mid range camera. And with regard to #10, you overstate the case by quite a lot - it's still better than most of the competition over the years.
07-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
As I see it, entry level cameras are always going to lack some of the features the pro cameras have. It's not a reason to be mad at the entry level camera design. I think the Pentax K-x is missing less features than other brands entry level bodies.
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
New Member
Koolpc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 7
Original Poster
K-x has a massive amount of features from what i can see. Deciding to buy one is the hardest thing!!
07-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 44
I say the only frustrating thing about the k-x is the lack of HDMI. I mean, it couldnt have been so hard to include HDMI..
07-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
PUSHHHHHH!!!
..and that's a big one!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-x, pentax help, pentax k-x, people, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ADVICE NEEDED: Pentax K-x K3 Focusing Screen kangeroo82 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 05-27-2010 04:47 PM
ADVICE NEEDED: Background noise with Pentax K-x Video kangeroo82 Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 04-30-2010 09:00 AM
Advice needed: Manual lens adapter for pentax K-x pjr Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 11-09-2009 09:49 PM
Advice from K200D users, please! emr Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 10-11-2009 08:43 AM
K10D opinion needed from canon 300d (Digital Rebel) users Andrews Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 03-04-2008 10:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top