Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback on Linkdelight.com focusing screens?

I am considering a MF screen for my K20D, and up to now was trying to figure out how to justify a Katz Eye at $200 (probably a third of the value of the camera) when I came across this...

Double 45 Split Focusing Screen For Pentax K10D K20D | Photography | LinkDelight Limited

Can anyone comment on this supplier? Is the quality reasonable? $18 seems too good to be true.

07-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I am considering a MF screen for my K20D, and up to now was trying to figure out how to justify a Katz Eye at $200 (probably a third of the value of the camera) when I came across this...

Can anyone comment on this supplier? Is the quality reasonable? $18 seems too good to be true.
I bought one and the focus was way out when it showed in focus the image was not.
it turns out you might need to shim, there is lots on the web about this.
i dumped mine and bough a Katz eye it works OK focus spot on, I did not go for the expensive optibright treatment and have no regrets, the reported black circle a small apertures rairly happens.
fitted on a K10d no exposure problems but spot focus not as accurate as it was with the original screen,
regards
Alistair
07-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alistair,

Thanks for the info. I figured it was unlikely to be of decent quality.

How does the Katz Eye work with your A 80-200?
08-01-2010, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Alistair,

Thanks for the info. I figured it was unlikely to be of decent quality.

How does the Katz Eye work with your A 80-200?
its not so much decent quality the screen was clear as a bell and you could adjust focus easily to to get the split screen to line up, just that when the screen showed in focus in fact it was not. as i said shimming would fix it. in fact Katz eye do mention that shimming is occasionally required. however it seems that 99% do not.
with any of my lens manual or automatic when the screen shows alignment the image when viewed on a PC or printed is sharp. I fitted a split screen to assist with macro and if I am honest with the original I had no problem with a manual focus lens. I just like the split screen.
There is as I mentioned [see Katz eye web site] a potential problem at the smaller apertures of the centre spot going black and optibright is supposed to fix this. I have had this effect occasionally but never enough for me to contemplate returning it for the treatment which is very expensive.
Alistair

10-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #5

Buy KatzEye. Also buy some shims from them at the same time, just in case - they are not that expensive.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/117800-tr...ml#post1216881
10-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I looked at the Katz-Eye site just today to pull up a link for somebody in another thread and the price I noticed was $105. Where did you get the $200 figure?
10-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I looked at the Katz-Eye site just today to pull up a link for somebody in another thread and the price I noticed was $105. Where did you get the $200 figure?
When you add Optibright and the Pentax brackets it comes to 200USD