Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Is ABESOFMAINE a reliable place to buy PENTAX?

is abesofmaine reliable? I found most people use amazon, b&h or adorama, abesofmaine provides some of the best prices though.

thanks!

07-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have never purchased from them, but I believe they have been around a while. Their prices don't seem any better or worse than the others you mentioned.

Last edited by Bob photo 4 life; 07-31-2010 at 03:04 PM.
07-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just like anthing else, ask 100 people you'll get 100 different answers. Never bought anything from them but..

Abe's of Maine Reviews, Ratings and Price Comparison Shopping

07-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Abe's is great if you live in NY (no NY sales tax.) B&H, Adorama, & J&R will all hit you for New York sales tax. You can also expect strong upsell pressure.

07-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Banned

yes Abe’s is a reputable dealer thats been in business quite a while. I have never made a large purchase from them, but I have made several small purchase from them over the net without any problems. each persons experience is different, but if you are worried about them being another photographic equipment scam site, don’t worry they aren’t.
07-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Abe's is great if you live in NY (no NY sales tax.) B&H, Adorama, & J&R will all hit you for New York sales tax. You can also expect strong upsell pressure.
Up-sell pressure from Abe's you mean? B&H and Adorama don't do the up-sell.

What I have never figured out is the name of the place. They are not located in Maine and never have been.

Edit: LIB...I just looked at their Web site and they say now that they started as a Mom & Pop photo store in Maine in 1979. First I heard of them (early 2000s), they were mail-order/Internet only out of Coney Island.

Steve
07-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I meant upsell by Abe's. You will get a call before the order ships.

From the abesofmaine.com About us

QuoteQuote:
Abe's of Maine has been a family owned and operated business since our inception in 1979. Originating as a Mom and Pop electronics retailer in Old Orchard Beach, Maine, we began to cultivate the outstanding customer service we are proud to provide for our customers today.
In September of 1986, we moved to Coney Island Avenue in Brooklyn, NY. There we quickly became a mainstay in the community and furthered our national reach by offering a catalog mail-order service. In 2006, we moved to 5 Fernwood Ave. in Edison, NJ, where we currently operate our state-of-the-art showroom and warehouse.

07-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Edit: LIB...I just looked at their Web site and they say now that they started as a Mom & Pop photo store in Maine in 1979. First I heard of them (early 2000s), they were mail-order/Internet only out of Coney Island.
I grew up in Canarsie, a few miles from Coney Island AVENUE, and as far as I recall from the 70s, Abe's of Maine was NEVER in Maine. Their first store was in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. And the above quoted history of theirs is a big booba-meinser.

They're orthodox Jews, and the idea of the name was to make them appear "less Jewish."

Plus, who the hell moves from Maine to Brooklyn?
07-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #9

I had a recent experience when i purchased my body only k-7 from A of M as follows. Of course I was upsold various accessories during course of the conversation with sales rep (par for the course). I have purchased from Abes in the past and have found them to be reputable and will probably do so in the future.

But when my K-7 arrived it was in a box for the retail bundle for the lens and labeled as such (but without the bundled lens) because I wanted body only. The inner box had taken a bit of a beating and was previously opened and altered. I didn't want to screw around with a potentially previously used and/or returned item so I contacted them for an RMA and a credit.

The process was kinda scarry. I did get my RMA but contacting customer service was a chore. Their first e-mail to the service e-mail box didn't work. My customer service reps extension became unavailable. I had to contact my cc company and put a dispute in on the transaction.

They did end up crediting me my $$ but I dont think i would have been on as firm a ground had i not returned my product via UPS with signature required and insured too both at my own expense.

Frankly, I was surprised this happened; my previous experiences with Abe's have been good ones.
07-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've made major purches from AoM, wasn't upsold, got good prices and fast delivery, and am satisfied. They WILL reliably email you sales pitches regularly, but those are easily deleted. No hay problemo, si?
07-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks guys! seems it's safe enough to buy brand new PENTAX product there especially from NY state. the return policy is an impressive 30 day money back, but is it really that good and simple?
07-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #12

I got my 18-55 AL II lens from them. I ordered online and didn't get a phone call from someone trying to get me to buy anything else. My lens arrived unharmed and it was a smooth and painless experience. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
08-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I purchased my K200d from them, and later a lens. Got the upsell call but it was very low-key and I didn't purchase anything. You do want to be available for the upsell call, or your shipment might be delayed.

Paul
08-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #14

Got my K7 from them several months ago - got an upsell call, but as soon as they figured out they were talking with somebody who did his homework on the product, they did not bother to continue. Got everything with no problems. I recommend them.
08-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Recently bought a KX with kit lens. They called to confirm my order. Sales agent mentioned a few accessories that were on sale, asked if i needed anything else. No pressure, no sales pitch. Shipping was quick. I would recommend along with B&H and Adorama.