Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photography Books/Guides

Just ordered a copy of The Digital Phography Book by Scott Kelby.

Wondered if anyone had any good reconmendations for other books in the beginners-DSLR catagory?

Advice and Lit is often very "scientific" and I really would just like to learn ways of getting better shots now and finding out why they were better after.

08-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Something by Michael Freeman.

The Photographer's Eye is great, with a focus on getting the intended result from technology, not camera technology for its own sake yet still well-grounded in solid, real mechanics.
08-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second the suggestion of Michael Freeman's work. His books are clear, accessible and illustrated with fantastic photographs and examples. I have the Photographers Eye and his Guide to Black & White Photography but I have also had The Complete Guide to Digital Photography from the library and it is an excellent overview of everything from hardware (types of digital cameras, memory cards, etc), digital tools to techniques.
-Joe
08-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

This may sound daft, but do try your local library as well (if you have one nearby), they often have a surprising number books on photography, which you may find of interest to you.

If really find one you like you could always purchase your own copy, give 'em a try before you buy.

Just a thought.

08-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #5

Bryan Peterson

I have always enjoyed Bryan Peterson's books and agree that you should see if they are at your library first. I own several and have been using them for many years.

His blog can be helpful as well.

Bryan F. Peterson
08-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #6

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is one that a lot of people recommend. Also be sure and check out Kelby's other two books, The Digital Photography Book Vols 2 and 3. I thought Vol 2 better than the first one in some ways, Vol 3 not so much so.
08-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Photographer's Eye - Michael Freeman

Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson (supposed to be a new edition soon)

Understanding Digital Photography - Bryan Peterson

The Asahi Pentax Way - Herbert Keppler is also worth reading although very dated of course. I have the 9th edition published in 1975 which includes information on the NEW Pentax K Series.
08-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all!
Dave