Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #1

What are these spots on my photos?

I'm new to SLR cameras. The first night I had taken my Pentax K-x camera out, (about a week and a half ago now) I had seen these same couple of marks. I've tried using compressed air on both sides of the lens as well as the mirror and sensor in the camera. I've also lightly wiped off the front of the lens with a microfiber cloth and used the build in dust remover of the camera. I don't know what it is.

Here you can see two pictures taken just a few seconds apart from what I can remember. Look at specifically the top right area, but spots appear occasionally in other areas.
Name:  spots3.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  194.4 KB Name:  spots4.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  195.5 KB

Why does only one of them have the marks I'm talking about? Sometimes it's like that. Sometimes they will not appear at all. And it seems they ONLY appear during sky shots.

I don't know if this helps identify the location, but Sometimes the marks will appear more blurry than other times. See this next photo compared to the one above.
Name:  spots6.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  215.0 KB

If you'll notice, that string looking spot is in the exact same position in both photos, and they were taken days apart.

I am completely lost.

Attached Images

08-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Without a doubt that is dust on the sensor, please take this time to freak out and have a mental breakdown like I did

done? ok, turns out it's a normal part of DSLR ownership and is a necessary evil of having interchangeable lenses, there are a variety of cleaning techniques, I use the one Pentax recommends, using their own cleaning kit called the 0-ICK1. touching the sensor with a tool is scary, but does no harm if you do it correctly. Never use compressed air again though as it can damage the sensor. An air blower will be effective and safe, often all you need.

The dust will appear in shots with smaller apertures (larger f/ numbers) and in places in your photos with bright evenly lit areas.

Before you touch the sensor though check out this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/108440-kx-dust-rem...ess-story.html
08-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Wow, thank you! I will check out the 0-ICK1. And trust me, I've definitely been freaking out, haha.
08-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

please do some hard googling on how to clean and care for your dslr, there's plenty of resources and you really ought to know. There's a lot of damage that could be accidently and easily caused, especially to the back of the lens and to the precious sensor

also please check my original comment again as I added some important details

08-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will second the O-ICK1 but most of that looks like the type of dust that can be removed with a rocket blower.

There should be a sticky in the beginners forum entitled, WTH is On My Pictures?

08-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

what else besides dust and noise? I'm trying to remember any other foreign objects that can appear in pictures and can't call any to mind. Except for maybe banding from light leaking through the viewfinder, I've only heard of that though
08-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

In a recent post in this forum, a K-7 user indicated that he was successful to remove dust by runnning the camera self-cleaning system several times in successions (10 to 15 times, if I am correct).

He was successful and his experience might be worthwhile to try before your clean the sensor yourself.
08-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you everyone, and thanks for the additional info, future_retro. I'll try that self-cleaning thing first, and then the rocket blower, and if none of that works, I'll do that cleaning kit.

08-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
what else besides dust and noise? I'm trying to remember any other foreign objects that can appear in pictures and can't call any to mind. Except for maybe banding from light leaking through the viewfinder, I've only heard of that though
What I was referring to is the at least weekly thread that pops up asking what those black spots are. If there were a sticky describing what they are and even providing a search link to the 100s of threads on the subject, it might help people get beyond the freak out point.

08-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JoshRead Quote
Why does only one of them have the marks I'm talking about? Sometimes it's like that. Sometimes they will not appear at all. And it seems they ONLY appear during sky shots.
[...]
I don't know if this helps identify the location, b[ut Sometimes the marks will appear more blurry than other times
They're more distinct when you're stopped down more, and blurrier when the aperture is wide open -- in fact, so much so that it's often hard to see against anything but a bright simple background like the sky.

I'm not quite clear on why this is, but my supposition is that when you have a narrow aperture, the light is more directional, outlining the dust more precisely, but when you're wide open, some of it hits the edges of the dust speck at an angle, making it softer.