Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Best way to clean a bare lense

Reading a thread about uv filters convinced me to not get a new one after my old one broke. That being said what is the best way to clean a bare lense then? I am reluctant to clean it all, but it has gotten to a point where I need to.

Also I love sky in my photos, do you think a polarized filter or that half gradient one will be useful in capturing both sky and ground detail? Thank you.

08-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A microfiber cloth and your breath or a lens pen. I have both and the pen is really good if you have finger prints or something similar and my cloth is for light dust.

I have used a CPL when taking sky photos and cannot notice a difference in IQ with the CLP on or off. But I cannot speak for the gradient.
08-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
What is a CPL?
08-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CPL = Circular Polariser.

These are optimised for DSLR use, can be IQ issues with regular polarisers (I'm sure someone else can explain it better).

Also I have had it recommended to me by a number of people to first use a blower brush before using lense fluid / pen / microfibre cloth. A blower removes any larger particles that might scratch the lense when using cloth.

08-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe that Linear Polarizers prevent modern light metering systems from working, that or autofocus
08-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I believe that Linear Polarizers prevent modern light metering systems from working, that or autofocus
Linear polarizers MAY cause problems with the AF due to cross polarization of light off the beam splitter. This may blind the AF sensor.
All Pentax SLR type cameras with the exception of the LX meter off the focusing screen, so a linear polarizer will not affect metering on all SLRs except the LX.

As polarizing filters and AF don't necessarily go together all that well, and since it will be a fairly rare occasion for the AF to be blinded by cross polarization, a linear polarizer is still a very useful accessory for a Pentax.
I find they work better, and a very good one can be had for about the same price as a relatively cheap circular.