Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K100d Super Lens Question

I currently have a a 18-55mm and a 50-200mm, i am looking to get a new lens but i am unsure what to get next and also what is compatible with my camera.

thanks in advance!

08-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the compatible lenses from Pentax are found here: Pentax Lens Review Database - Lens Listings

The 'DA' lenses are the most recent, digital lenses, but 'FA' and 'D FA' lenses are also fully automatic and work just like DA lenses. Browse a bit through the database first, and then let's take it from there

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All the compatible lenses from Pentax are found here: Pentax Lens Review Database - Lens Listings

The 'DA' lenses are the most recent, digital lenses, but 'FA' and 'D FA' lenses are also fully automatic and work just like DA lenses. Browse a bit through the database first, and then let's take it from there
Thanks Adam

what are the best 3rd party lens?

i am looking to do more general photography then specific subjects, is worth getting a lens much pass 300mm as i had seen a 500mm ones but i didn't know if that was overkill!

thanks again
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When using your two lenses do you ever go, man I wish _____

if you never say that, then maybe you don't need any new lenses or you could get some lenses that are similar to the ones you have, but with larger apertures to let in more light

If you ever think, "man I wish my kit lens could go a little bit wider" or "man I wish that my telephoto could zoom in more" or "man I wish that I could take pictures better in low light" or "man I wish that when I zoom in on these pictures they looked sharper" then you have some specific needs that should be addressed

What lens to get next should be a pretty easy decision if there is an actual need, evaluate the problems you have with your current lenses to narrow it down what you want or need from the new lens and we can help you choose specifically a lens that will fill that need.

08-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k100ds is compatible with all lenses that the k10/20/7/x are. I have one and I know. I'd agree with others that you really need to assess what is missing from your gear. Personally, I outgrew my kit lens and 50-200 quickly. Now I have way too many lenses but still have lots of favorites.

Some suggestions:

If you want to expand your possiblities consider getting the DA 10-17 fisheye. It's really unique and a lot of fun because you can explore the ultra wide angle area and fisheye area at the same time.

If you want to go longer, consider the DA 55-300 it will give you a lot more reach and is one of the best.

If you want to get in to doing macro work the DF A 100 WR macro is an awesome lens.

Basically, each new lens provides you with different possiblities. I've tried to go with constant apetature zoom lenses when ever possible. My DA 18-55 kit lens has now become a DA*16-50 f2.8 lens.

You could also go cheaper and buy some older K mount lenses eithe manual or auto focus and play with those too. But I find that using them on the K100 is not as friendly as my k10/20 though.

So consider what your needs are wider/longer/faster/etc. then take your next step down the road to LBA hell like the rest of us.
08-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Basically, until you can put into words what *specific* things you wish your current lenses did that they don't, there's no point in buying other lenses. There are hundreds if not thousands of available lenses, many of them really excellent at what they do, but if they don't address the *specific* needs you have, then they won't provide any benefit over what you have.

If the issue is that you don't even know what's possible, then I'd suggest visiting the library or bookstore and getting a basic book on photography to get a feel for what kind of picture taking interests you, what kind of equipment is needed for it, and how your current equipment might come up short.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-03-2010 at 10:14 PM.
08-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Here's what I asked myself before I bought a dSLR and lenses: What do I want to do, that I can't do with my nifty point-and-shoot (P&S)? The answers were: ultrawide, ultralong, and low light. So, with my K20D and AF360 flash, I bought a DA10-17 fisheye, a DA18-250 superzoom, and a fast FA50/1.4. Zillions of lenses later, those are still what I use the most.

So, what do YOU want to do, that you CAN'T do with what you have? Do you want to go wider, longer, faster, closer? Do you want odd effects? Do you want to shoot insects, pr0n, infrared, portraits, microdots, stars, architecture, surveillance, action sports, birds, wars, underwater, teeth, calendars, or what? Your answers may point you towards specific glass and gear.

And as LBA sets in, your questions will be more like: Gee, I wonder how THIS lens behaves? And: Hey, I don't have one like THAT, do I? And: Argh, am I broke yet?