Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #1

Pentax DCU vs. Silkypix Pro

I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks here can tell me what the advantages are of using Silkypix Pro over Pentax's own Digital Camera Utility software? Wondering what, specifically, I would gain by upgrading....is it speed? color rendition? better file management? better integration with other software?

As I understand it, Pentax licensed the RAW engine from Silkypix and incorporated it into the Pentax DCU software.

After doing some side-by-side comparisons of DCU vs. Lightroom 2.7, I like the look of the DCU files better. However, I've read here and on other forums the 16-bi TIFF files DCU generates on export are not true 16-bit TIFFs. Wondering if upgrading to Silkypix Pro would solve this issue?

Thanks!

08-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interface much better, controls are much better.
08-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi vizjerei,

When you say "better", how so? Is the interface faster/more responsive? Are the controls more advanced, or do you have more/finer control over the various options?

Thanks!
08-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixel Pusher Quote
Hi vizjerei,

When you say "better", how so? Is the interface faster/more responsive? Are the controls more advanced, or do you have more/finer control over the various options?

Thanks!
I would suggest you down load the free version of SilkPix which is the same screen interface as the full version there are just some options not available in the free one. You can however convert your raw image in the free one with enough control to allow you to decide which final version jpeg you prefer.
The SP full version is I don't think any easier to use than the Pentax software just better layout. but with all conversion software it's the one you find easiest to use that really counts. and, with out once again opening a can of worms ,you must be aware that what you saw and you remember from when you took the image and what you see later on the screen / print are often not the same , and also never ever loose sight of the fact that anyone else looking at the image in any format probably never saw the original anyway so will never know the blue sky was a darker shade [unless of course it has gone purple in which case it is artistic evaluation by you the artist
Alistair
see thread below for lots on this
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/108582-best-app...raw-files.html