Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you do with your lens cap?

I saw a post somewhere by a guy who said he attaches it to his camera. Don't know how you'd do that. I have had a K-x for about a week, and I'm afraid I'll lose the lens caps, also wonder about them getting dirty/dusty/etc. What do you do with yours? Slip it in a pocket?

08-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can attach them using something called a cap keeper, a little sticky pad that attaches to your cap and then has a string that connects to the strap mounts.

I use a hood 100 percent of the time so for general protection I can usually go without the cap while actively using my camera, I usually just keep the cap in the bag from which the camera came from while using it and then I put the cap back on when I put the camera in the bag.

When I have to use my pocket I give it a few good slams against my thigh to try to dislodge any dust before putting it back on the camera
08-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
What do you do with yours? Slip it in a pocket?
Exactly. Usually front-left pocket of my pants/shorts. On the rare occasions when what I'm wearing has no pockets (or I'm not weating anything ), the cap goes in the camera bag.
08-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

This is a family website so I can't post what I actually do.

But it keeps them pretty warm.

08-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I saw a post somewhere by a guy who said he attaches it to his camera. Don't know how you'd do that. I have had a K-x for about a week, and I'm afraid I'll lose the lens caps, also wonder about them getting dirty/dusty/etc. What do you do with yours? Slip it in a pocket?
What you do is read this thread from just a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/108278-i-hate-m...-pictures.html

Since this question is not about cameras but lenses, and in any case is a pretty broad question mostly of interest to newcomers, I'm moving it to the Beginner's forum.
08-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a front left pocket person. It's almost an automatic response.
08-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm a pocket person, too. It's just habit to stick it in my pocket when I'm getting ready to shoot. Also, if you're worried about losing your cap, you might think about stocking up on some extras. Whenever I'm at a garage sale and run across a box of miscellaneous camera stuff, I'll buy any decent lens caps that are inexpensive (less than a dollar). I also buy any K-mount rear lens caps that I find.
08-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'm a pocket person, too. It's just habit to stick it in my pocket when I'm getting ready to shoot. Also, if you're worried about losing your cap, you might think about stocking up on some extras. Whenever I'm at a garage sale and run across a box of miscellaneous camera stuff, I'll buy any decent lens caps that are inexpensive (less than a dollar). I also buy any K-mount rear lens caps that I find.
Seems like the left front pocket habit will work.

Would any 52mm lens cap fit my K-x?

Is it easy to identify K-mount rear lens caps?

08-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You could get a nice collection of Pentax branded rear caps (bayonet [b] type) and Pentax branded lens caps off ebay for 1-2 bucks a piece

I say Pentax branded because they might just be knock offs made from the original mold, but I don't care about that personally.
08-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Seems like the left front pocket habit will work.

Would any 52mm lens cap fit my K-x?

Is it easy to identify K-mount rear lens caps?
Yes, any 52mm cap should work although some slip-on caps (as opposed to the type with clips) can be looser than others depending on how they're made and their age. The K-mount rear caps aren't that hard to spot once you get used to looking for them, but right now I can't think of any specific characteristics to tell you to look for. If you're in doubt, look to see if it's marked. It'll usually have "PK" on it.
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #11

I have pieces of velcro strips stuck to all of my front caps and
simply stick them to the top of my flash (both my flashes have
a corresponding 'velcro opposite' strip stuck on top)
when in use.

Last edited by mlatour; 08-04-2010 at 02:52 PM.
08-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #12

I use my back pocket. I don't keep anything else in there usually, so it makes it easy to find. Just make sure you find it right away when you're reattaching it to the lens. Otherwise, people will think you've got an itch.
08-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #13

Drill edge of cap and use a cord to attach to you camera strap
08-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

in a word

lose them

actually usually in a pocket or back in the camera bag
08-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If this is for small lens caps like the 49mm and 52mm, buy a 49-52 step up ring and a 37-49mm step up ring. Tape the two back to back around the camera strap. Fold the tape around the edges of the step up rings so that it doesn't interfere with the mounting of the lens cap. You now have a place for a 52mm lens cap and a 49mm lens cap.

View Picture EXIF
Name:  K20D6018.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  417.1 KB

My wife will wear pants without pockets so I needed a solution for her. For larger lens caps, I'm going to see if an Optech filter pouch will work for her. I think I will be able to simply clip the pouch to the camera strap. When it gets here and she has a chance to use it I can say more.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-06-2010 at 09:37 AM.