Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #1

Cannon EOS 550D vs. Pentax K-7 vs. Pentax K-x

I am looking to purchase a new DSLR, this will be my second DSLR (first being Sony A-320).

It's seem the more I read the harder it is to decide.

While the 550D looks great in a lot of areas, reading that it feels cheap in your hand does not make me happy. The fact that it is 1+ years newer than either the K-7 or the K-x seems to be a plus a year is a long time in the electronic world.

On the other hand I like the fact that the K-7 has a great build quality but the high ISO performance scares me. While the K-x has better high ISO performance it seems to be behind the K-7 in all other areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

08-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think six questions will help you narrow this down:

1. How much money, including lenses, can you spend on your new camera?

2. What do you plan on taking photos of once you buy it?

3. How much does low light high ISO performance matter to you?

4. How much does build quality and the camera being weather sealed matter to you?

5. How much does having manual exposure control of 1080p video matter to you?

6. Are you more interested in Canon or Pentax lenses?

The K-7 performs decently up to ISO2500. The K-x obviously does better at ISOs higher than 3200; and, from what I've seen, the 550D also does a bit better than the K-7 in this department.

The 550D has the best video of the three.

The K-7 is in my opinion a better camera overall than the other two if you're talking about taking most of your photos from between ISO100-1600. Besides having better build quality than the 550D, it is also weather sealed. The K-7 has the best ergonomics of any camera I've ever used to this point, although some people who like larger cameras aren't really fans of it.

The 550D is also (I believe) more expensive than both the K-7 and the K-x. The K-x in particular would give you more options to buy good lenses with your remaining budget.

Finally, the K-x does not have visual AF confirmation dots, which turned out not to annoy me as much as I thought it would when I owned the K-x.
08-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Buy the Canon.. It's clearly a better choice.

08-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You're going to end up spending more money if you go with Canon, everything seems to be proportionally more expensive, especially once you get into quality lenses.

I think that the T2i is probably the Kx on steroids, DPreview said that the Kx was the star of the show in the T2i noise tests, but looking at the graphs there really wasn't much of a difference between the two. If you're on a budget you should go with the Kx

As for the K7, I think build quality and weather resistance is the only reason to buy it, you can get great image quality with the Kx and save money for Pentax's awesome lenses, or you can get better video quality and ISO performance with the T2i. Remember that build quality has nothing to do with Image quality, but weather resistance lets you get shots you can't with a non WR body (i.e. snowboarding, beach, ect.)

If I were to break it down...

T2i would be awesome if you have a lot of money
Kx would be awesome if you want the best quality on a budget
K7 would be cool but you have to make compromises for the WR, that's the path I took, I had a Kx too but needed to sell it to get a better lens. The K7's WR has already come in handy as I got some great shots while snowboarding but not before dropping it in the snow (that would killed the Kx, at least for the day)

08-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

may I ask what's wrong with Sony?
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses.

I gave my Sony away.

The initial price between the 550D and the K-7 will be roughly the same. Going by DP review the 550D seems to be the winner other than in build quality, that being said I don't want my DSLR to feel like a Holga.
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've held a T2i in the store, it's not as flimsy as other people say, it's hefty enough. Comparing anything to the K7 isn't fair because it's a tank but I can't image why anyone would bash the T2i's build quality, it's perfectly fine if not pretty darn good.

08-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zone Quote
While the 550D looks great in a lot of areas, reading that it feels cheap in your hand does not make me happy.
Don't believe everything you read, you need to pick up and try the cameras in your hands yourself. I've read the same thing said about the Kx by 550D owners, the "feel" of a camera is very subjective.
08-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
My K-x definitely feels a lot more solid than the 350D, 400D, 450D or the 500D, especially regarding the kit lens. I haven't held the 550D so I can't make a comparison there.
08-06-2010, 04:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Don't believe everything you read, you need to pick up and try the cameras in your hands yourself. I've read the same thing said about the Kx by 550D owners, the "feel" of a camera is very subjective.
Yea, unfortunately there are no Pentax dealers in my area so I will not be able to hold one before.
08-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
Inactive Account

FYI: I believe the T2i's HD video is specifically Apple Quicktime. If you don't use a Mac, this is apt to be problematical according to a former owner who sold his and bought a K-x instead. He also thought the T2i plasticy and much prefers the build of the K-x. His review helped considerably to push me over the edge to buy my K-x a few weeks ago (not that I was really considering a Canon).

Edit... You can read the review yourself here (his handle at Amazon is Edgar_in_Indy):

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7-inch-18-55mm-Black/product-reviews/B002...0&pageNumber=2

Also great reading are his additional comments to his review here:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R28C1KZNPJEBKT/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0...wasThisHelpful

Last edited by Muse; 08-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.
08-08-2010, 04:40 AM   #12

Original Poster
I think I am leaning toward the K-7 over the K-x
08-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by zone Quote
I think I am leaning toward the K-7 over the K-x
My thinking is that if you wait for the model that replaces the K-7 you will get the features that the K-x has that the K-7 doesn't (and more). Just saying...
08-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
My thinking is that if you wait for the model that replaces the K-7 you will get the features that the K-x has that the K-7 doesn't (and more). Just saying...
Other than being able to shoot at ISO 100,000.. What features would those be? Lack of the grip option? Missing front e-dial? 96% Mirror prism vs 100% coverage glass prism? No wired remote capability? No Stereo sound (with external mic)? Smaller rear screen with 1/3 the resolution? No Weather Sealing? Software driven electronic pop up flash rather than Mechanical? No visible AF point confirmation? Slower top shutter speed? Smaller EV Compensation range? Lack of HDMI output? Slower continuous drive? No top screen display?

Digital Photography Review K7 vs Kx

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Kx is a fine camera but... Just Saying....

Last edited by JeffJS; 08-08-2010 at 07:51 AM.
08-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
I think you meant everything the K-x has that k-7 doesn't is only the SONY sensor which some consider to be better in high-iso settings. As many expect the new models coming up would fit in between k-x and k-7, the other higher than k-7.