Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
little help on lens purchase...

new to the DSLR game, just picked up my K-x and I think I found a deal on a couple lenses so I thought I would get some opinions. Im getting ready to go on vacation to Costa Rica so really this will all be for play and learning. Right now the only lens I have is the the 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks in advance for the help

P.S.-Being new to this I will be shooting everything I can so no real specifics...

Here is the deal Im looking at...

Pentax K 1000 camera is a SLR 35 mm. It comes with a camera body that uses interchangeable lenses and hot shoe for flash. The following are included in the price:
Camera with original 50 mm lens
Vivitar flash unit
Adjustable tripod (2' to 5 ' tall, 360 degree adjustable)
70-210 Zoom lens
UV filter lens
several rolls of film
case to carry camera, film and lenses.


All for less than 75.00

this is an email from the seller

The lenses are manual focus. This is a classic camera, with Single reflex lenses. The operator has total control of light, lens focus, field/ground focus. One lens is a 50 mm (general use) and the other is a telephoto lens. There is also a UV lens filter (makes the blue skies a brilliant blue and sharpens other colors. This equipment cost over $500 when new

08-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member
future_retro's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 572
Either they are slightly misinformed and just saying what they think is true, or they are slightly mis informed and trying way too hard to sell.

The UV filter wont change your pictures, that's a circular polarizer that has those affects, the "field/ground" focus could be aperture control rings, but then again there might be some sort of field focus thing i might not know about, I've just never heard of such a thing and have a copy the 50mm lens he's selling, it just has the focus ring and aperture control ring.

If they fit on the K1000 they will work with your Kx. As for the total "new" cost, there's nowhere you can buy that new. That 50mm lens if worth about 20 bucks, BH sells the same kit for a lot more (239) so you're getting a good deal, but not as good as he's saying.

I'd go for it but wouldn't trust the seller too much.
08-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
Welcome to the forum.
It;s not clear to me whether you want to take your K-x to Costa Rica or you are looking to buy a film SLR to 'play around' with there.

It's also hard to help when there is no idea of what you would like in a lens - all-rounder or portrait or wide angle or fish-eye...

My suggestion (if it's for an all-rounder lens that takes away the need to change lenses) is to look for a Tamron or Pentax 18-250 lens. These are reasonably good and make shooting easy for you.

If that's not what you're after and you want a better quality replacement for your kit lens, then consider the Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 17-70. If you want a good portrait lens, consider the FA 50 f/1.4, amongst many other 50mm options there are that are appropriate.

So as you can see there's a lot to consider, but it would be easier to decide if you knew exactly what you were going to capture with the intended lens you desire.
08-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome to the forum.
It;s not clear to me whether you want to take your K-x to Costa Rica or you are looking to buy a film SLR to 'play around' with there.

It's also hard to help when there is no idea of what you would like in a lens - all-rounder or portrait or wide angle or fish-eye...

My suggestion (if it's for an all-rounder lens that takes away the need to change lenses) is to look for a Tamron or Pentax 18-250 lens. These are reasonably good and make shooting easy for you.

If that's not what you're after and you want a better quality replacement for your kit lens, then consider the Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 17-70. If you want a good portrait lens, consider the FA 50 f/1.4, amongst many other 50mm options there are that are appropriate.

So as you can see there's a lot to consider, but it would be easier to decide if you knew exactly what you were going to capture with the intended lens you desire.
While I understand what you are saying I also believe (for a beginner) to not go out and buy 350.00 plus lenses before really understanding the camera. This is why I am looking at less expensive lenses then deciding my direction. You are correct I could go out and buy 1000.00 worth of zoom and prime lenses to quickly realize I want to go in a completely different direction, I just find this to be self defeating and not a good way to learn this craft...Just my opinions...

08-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member
future_retro's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 572
You might just want to stick with the lens you have then, it's a pretty darn good lens to start with. It has basically the same zoom range and light transmission performance of most of the point and shoot cameras on the market, and the Kx will take that performance and put it to use better than any point and shoot. There's a reason why it's the included lens, because it covers the most useful focal lengths

obviously you're concerned about budget, and just buying something for the sake of buying something isn't budget conscious. I understand the want for more lenses, but since you don't know what you want you probably shouldn't buy anything until you get familiar with the camera and it's included lens. Once you get familiar with the shortcomings of your current system you'll learn what you need to upgrade. If you take all your pictures in the kit lens range in moderately to well lit areas and don't crop your pictures much then you can probably go your whole life without upgrading the lens or the camera

At this point it sounds like you're buying something you don't understand because you think you need it, I did that too and wasted money. If anything you should grab a tripod and a book with that 75 dollars and save the lenses for when you know what you really need
08-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
You might just want to stick with the lens you have then. it has the same performance of most of the point and shoot lenses on the market, and the Kx will take that performance and put it to use better than any point and shoot. There's a reason why it's the included lens, because it covers the most useful focal lengths

obviously you're concerned about budget, and just buying something for the sake of buying something isn't budget conscious. I understand the want for more lenses, but since you don't know what you want you probably shouldn't buy anything until you get familiar with the camera and it's included lens. Once you get familiar with the shortcomings of your current system you'll learn what you need to upgrade. If you take all your pictures in the kit lens range in moderately to well lit areas and don't crop your pictures much then you can probably go your whole life without upgrading the lens or the camera

At this point it sounds like you're buying something you don't understand because you think you need it, I did that too and wasted money. If anything you should grab a tripod and a book with that 75 dollars and save the lenses for when you know what you really need
That makes sense...Since I bought the camera I have been taking pics of pretty much anything that appeals to me, and some that dont to be honest. With no real aspirations to take this to the "next level" Im not sure that will change as I get to know the camera better. The whole point of possibly buying the lenses was only if it turned out to be a good deal. Unfortunately or maybe not, I have other rather expensive hobbies that seem to suck the wallet dry.

Thanks for the quick responses...

P.S. books on the way and tripod already purchased
08-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member
future_retro's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 572
well even a good deal on something you don't use is a bad deal
08-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
well even a good deal on something you don't use is a bad deal
Definitely understand that...I have little doubt they would get used, how much who is to know. Im all about trial and error, just on a smart budget minded level.

Thanks for the insight...Much appreciated!

08-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
Good realisation.
You've answered your own question.
Enjoy the trip.
08-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
I'm going to take a slightly different approach. If you have any interest in shooting film, I'd say you could offer US$50 or so for the lot. Keep in mind that the seller is over-selling.

BUT... BUT, the seller has provided insufficient information. What condition is the gear in? Does the camera body work? Exactly what lenses are offered? Just saying 50mm and 70-210mm doesn't help, you need to know the brand and aperture and condition. What brand/model of tripod? Which model flash, and is its battery compartment clean or corroded? Keep in mind that a vintage flash MUST NOT be used on your Kx -- its voltage level could fry the Kx's electronics. And whether the stuff was kept in a smoke-free environment might matter to you.

If you want to shoot film, and the lenses are both Pentax, and everything works and is in good condition, and the tripod isn't wobbly, then the lot may be worth US$50 or even $65. If your goal is just to get more lenses, and you don't know their specifics, then this isn't really a good deal. You may have reached that conclusion already.

Have fun!
08-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 1,475
You'd have to investigate this "deal" to find out the exact models of the items in this list, but I'd guess it's probably not worthwhile for you.

On the other hand, if I were going on a significant trip, I'd want to add at least a longer lens. My suggestion for the most practical and cost-effective way to do that would be the 50-200mm Pentax DA. Particularly if you could find one used, you could probably sell it later for most of what you paid for it.

While it would normally be wise to try your 18-55 alone for a while, if this is a significant trip for you, that would suggest maybe doing a bit of an experiment and acquiring another lens a little sooner than you might otherwise.

Paul
08-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by 96p993 Quote
new to the DSLR game, just picked up my K-x and I think I found a deal on a couple lenses so I thought I would get some opinions. Im getting ready to go on vacation to Costa Rica so really this will all be for play and learning. Right now the only lens I have is the the 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks in advance for the help

P.S.-Being new to this I will be shooting everything I can so no real specifics...

Here is the deal Im looking at...

Pentax K 1000 camera is a SLR 35 mm. It comes with a camera body that uses interchangeable lenses and hot shoe for flash. The following are included in the price:
Camera with original 50 mm lens
Vivitar flash unit
Adjustable tripod (2' to 5 ' tall, 360 degree adjustable)
70-210 Zoom lens
UV filter lens
several rolls of film
case to carry camera, film and lenses.


All for less than 75.00

this is an email from the seller

The lenses are manual focus. This is a classic camera, with Single reflex lenses. The operator has total control of light, lens focus, field/ground focus. One lens is a 50 mm (general use) and the other is a telephoto lens. There is also a UV lens filter (makes the blue skies a brilliant blue and sharpens other colors. This equipment cost over $500 when new
The seller is trying his best to get his unneeded camera equipment sold, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's up to the buyer to pick the wheat from the chaff. Even if you don't shoot film, a 50mm "nifty fifty" lens and a 70- 210 zoom (assuming it's a Pentax KM or A) lens would be well worth the $75.00 asking price. Do you really need them? Only you can answer that, but if you don't have them at hand to experiment with you will never know. Considering the entry point to much experimentation with various focal lengths is such a paltry amount, I would go for it. Of course, you will have to make sure the equipments are in gently used condition.

Thanks,
08-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
The K1000 body alone is worth 75 bucks these days.

Be aware that the meters have a tendency to die, but it's still worth it, just for the body. And if it's an original Pentax lens, regardless of which, that's a bonus.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, film, filter, flash, focus, im, lens, lenses, mm, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens Purchase Suggestions patriotap Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 07-26-2010 04:25 PM
Lens purchase on the bay Deiberson Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 02-02-2010 10:20 AM
Lens Purchase Advice krs Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 12-10-2008 09:25 PM
Help with versitile lens purchase riotsquad Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 05-24-2008 07:09 PM
Lens purchase ravphoto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 08-13-2007 11:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top