Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need consulting assistance

I am new to the DSLR game, and could use some assistance from someone with more experience. I am willing to pay/reward this work. Any takers?

08-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You ask, people answer.
08-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

search amazon for scott kelby and take the 3 volume box of digital photography. best 30 you've ever spent
08-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Firstly welcome to the forum, what is it we can help you with?

The size of fees and rewards come later on in the discussion, once the total remit or scope of works has been established.

08-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Reading a book on photography would be much easier and cheaper, the basics really aren't that hard to learn and I can't image tutoring being necessary
08-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Free Resources

Mensrea,

Welcome to the forum and the world of DSLRs in general. As many others have posted, you will find tons of advice on the web and friendly members from the forum. Your best bet is to post any specific questions you have and see if people from the forum will chime in.

If what you're looking for is consultation of a more technical nature, ie sensor technology, electronics theory, there's tons of articles on the internet.

If it's a personal shopper you're looking for to help you with gear, then you'd be best served just spending your money on rentals of different systems and see which ones feel the best in your hand and have intuitive ergonomics (menus and all) and that loosely termed 'image quality' to your liking, since it's you who has to live with the camera in the end.

Otherwise, I think i speak largely on behalf of the forum members when I say 'tell us your problems and we'll see what we can't do for you...'

Cheers,
Libby
08-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mensrea Quote
I am new to the DSLR game, and could use some assistance from someone with more experience. I am willing to pay/reward this work. Any takers?
Try this site before you spend a lot of money. Go to words after you look at a few pictures. Let us know if it helps!

Daystar Visions Main

08-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

I just bought a magic lantern book, are they worth reading? I am also going to buy the set above, it looks helpful. I found a class at a local photography store for $35. I do really need help with what to buy lens wise. I have a budget in mind but dont know what to buy. I understand the 55-300 is nice, but want a couple of others. I don't have a great body, but I actually want the security of using modes... It's a K200D.

I appreciate your help, I am looking for a new hobby and I think this can be a lot of fun... I just got back from Alaska and by Canon Rebel pictures didnt come out at all, and I was using the modes. Ruined some awesome shots of Grizzly bears. It doesn't have image stabilization and I was in a moving bus. I dont want to have that happen again, I am ready to dive into photography.
08-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No Pentax shops

There are no pentax shops within 60 miles of my house, and only 1 in chicago... looks like we might be alone
08-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mensrea Quote
There are no pentax shops within 60 miles of my house, and only 1 in chicago... looks like we might be alone
Luck for you there is the market here and most sites on the internet deliver... I do shop some local stores, but most tell me to look online...

As for which lens to buy... google LBA... there is no easy answer and you can spend thousands answering that question... again... read... think... rent(if you can)... borrow and try to find what works for you...
08-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, the K200D is a very good, capable DSLR. You can use it's pre-set settings, aperture priority mode setting, shutter priority mode setting, or full maual mode. I used one for a long time - 'bout wore it out!!

As to which lens - aaaahhh, the question of the year!! The answer is simple, yet complex. What to you want to shoot? Landscapes, distant wildlife, close-ups of flora and fauna, portraits, sports, etc??

Once you've figured that out, then the fun really begins!! The lens choices can be staggering and confusing. I'd suggest you spend some time reading the lens review section (both Pentax and non-Pentax lenses) and the many posts in the Lens sub-forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions - the folks on this forum, for the most part, are more than willing to answer questions. However, don't just ask "what lens should I buy?" - instead, ask something like "Is the Sigma 70-300mm lens better than the Tamron 70-300mm lens?" BUT, if you use the search function, you'll find that that question has been asked and answered about 87 thousand times!!

Again, by figuring out what you want to shoot will go a long ways to helping you figure out what lens to buy.